United Mission for Relief and Development (UMR) is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in the Washington, DC. We are one of the fastest growing NGOs in the country, with a focus on building humanitarian coalitions to tackle developmental needs globally.
UMR is looking for an experienced Communications Associate to assist with the coordination of communication efforts externally and internally. This position plays a key role in the organization’s engagement opportunities with donors and the general public, and will produce written materials to support these initiatives. Duties and responsibilities broadly support fundraising efforts and increased awareness of the organizations’ services.
- Create and coordinate public speaking engagements with/for UMR’s spokespeople
- Support the team by acting as the key point of contact and maintaining important lists for UMR contacts, VIPs and administration
- Assist with coordination of media outreach & coverage with media releases, TV/radio interviews, press releases, feature stories, press conferences, etc.
- Support the Marketing Department with both online and offline materials, including newsletters, eNewsletters, campaigns, appeals, etc.
- Assist with the development and implementation of annual Public Relations plans in consultation with senior management
- Coordinate photography for/of events, activities, etc. for use in publications, media, etc. and ensure appropriate releases are signed and filed
- Gather news stories from program staff for use in all communications (internal & external)
- Ensure that UMR brand guidelines and style guide are followed across all programmatic and communication channels
- Assist with updates & improvements of UMR’s website
- Support UMR’s global offices in delivering local public relations programs that are aligned with UMR’s strategy
- Write and edit copy for a variety of internal and external communications including newsletters e-blasts, press releases and bylined articles
- Other duties as assigned
- BA or higher degree in marketing, public or media relations, communications, or related field with a minimum of 2 years working experience in one or more of these areas
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic
- Knowledge about current international affairs, with a focus on the MENA and East Africa regions
- Knowledge or interest in policy work, with the ability to track and regularly analyze communications with policymakers
- Highly organized, strong editing skills, attention to detail, results oriented
- Ability to anticipate, manage, and creatively find solutions to challenges
- Must be a team player, and work effectively with others
- Possibility of traveling independently between multiple work sites
- Experience working with underserved, at-risk, and vulnerable populations preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs
- Knowledge of MailChimp and WordPress preferred
- Basic design/layout experience desired
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The UMR organization and UMR workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the UMR – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the UMR operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
UMR is committed to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary history, and two writing samples tby applying below.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org