Founded in 1976, the Fulbright Association (FA) is the alumni association of the Fulbright Scholarship Program in the United States. Fulbright students, scholars and specialists travel to 165 countries to teach, research, and engage in ways that promote peace and understanding. Returning scholars and other alumni join the FA to magnify the impact of the Fulbright experience by advocating for the program to Congress and by offering international educational programs: community outreach, events sponsored by chapters nationwide, a national conference, and “impact” travel. The FA also awards the prestigious Fulbright Prize to world leaders. Recipients include Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter, Bill and Melinda Gates, Doctors without Borders, and most recently Angela Merkel. See www.fulbright.org for information.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Manager will support chapters and institutional members in ways that are contemporary, dynamic, and measurable in impact. There are now 54 chapters in 38 states, and nearly 300 institutional members, most of them colleges and universities. The mission of this position is to help chapter grow and offer effective programming, to attract more and serve institutional members, and to build partnerships among and between chapters and institutions. We welcome applications from dedicated, hard-working and detail-oriented professionals who have worked with dispersed and varied stakeholders, and who believe in the mission of international exchange and understanding.
Role and Responsibilities: Chapters
- Oversee and manage chapter relations for the FA, providing guidance and assistance to leaders in 54 chapters nationwide, including support for program development, event planning, and board governance and elections.
- Supporting and in coordination with the Chapter Advisory Board, organize and provide regular training sessions, online and in person, to chapter leaders in areas such as program development, governance, communications, community outreach and political advocacy.
- Provide guidance and assistance in the formation of new chapters, supporting founders as they adopt bylaws, recruit and provide orientation to other leaders, and launch programming.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director, administer and manage the chapter grant received by the FA to support chapter development, including the proposal process, selection of awards, oversight of programmatic requirements, and reporting to grant providers. Offer recommendations and implement improvements to this system to promote innovation and effective programming while lessening administrative burdens.
- In partnership with the Communications Manager, assist chapters with updating websites, and promoting and celebrating activities through social media and other outlets.
Role and Responsibilities: Institutions
- Work with chapter leaders and institutional liaisons to develop successful partnerships for offering substantive programming, community outreach, and promotion of the Fulbright Program and engagement with the FA.
- Continue efforts to deliver tangible benefits to institutional members.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Deputy Director, set goals and agree upon strategy for driving growth in institutional memberships year on year.
- In coordination with the Communications and Marketing Manager, promote institutional membership by developing recruitment materials and marketing to prospects.
- Manage, drive and track institutional membership enrollments, including renewal of lapsed memberships.
- Other duties as required.
- Strong project management skills with ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, effectively prioritize, and coordinate with multiple external suppliers to keep projects on schedule.
- 2 years of experience working with multiple stakeholders in a complex and fast-moving environment, preferably in membership-related and/or programming positions serving multiple locations.
- Ability to navigate conflicting needs and difficult situations involving multiple stakeholders, with the patience, maturity, and negotiating skills to resolve problems.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent technical and database skills with experience using web and social media tools, a self-starter who enjoys learning independently and adept at learning new software and technology tools.
- Strong internal and external communication skills, proficient in communicating with staff, board members, association members, marketing suppliers, media, and international partners.
- Highly detail-oriented with a willingness to work to exacting standards for accuracy and data integrity/protection.
- 4 years of professional experience with evidence of implementing strategy and cross-institutional coordination that drives membership growth and/or chapter engagement.
- Expertise and experience in database management and CRM systems.
- Experience working for alumni organizations, membership associations, nonprofits or NGOs.
- Experience in international relations or development, working or living internationally, or working with international audiences.
- Fulbright alumni and those familiar with the FA chapter system.
- Positive, enthusiastic, passion for the Fulbright mission and values aligned with social innovation.
- Ability to self-manage, prioritize, get things done, and drive results.
- Adaptive willingness to roll up your sleeves and ability to work with limited resources.
- Collaborative team player and enjoys working as part of team to accomplish the mission.
- Innovative, creative, entrepreneurial mindset and passion for learning.
This is a full-time position with benefits, working onsite in the Washington, DC office with customary business hours. Annual salary range is $50-$55,000, depending on experience and skills.
All interested candidates should submit the following items in their application packets via email:
- Cover letter
- List of References, with contact information (3)
Submit resume and supporting documents via email to Shaz Akram at [email protected] by August 29, 2019.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org