The Washington Post is growing, domestically and overseas! In the last 18 months, we expanded in several countries, and this is just the beginning. We are looking for an HR specialist with an international background who will lead a cross-functional team and facilitate our international expansion efforts. You will also act as the company’s immigration expert; you will advise employees and management on visa and green card policies, processes, and costs.
Are you ready for the challenge? You know you will succeed in this role if:
- You thrive by bringing order to chaos; you like to organize things and have a knack for making everything you touch better. You are generous with sharing your knowledge by documenting your work.
- You may not have experience with each country, but you know which questions to ask, how to go about doing your research, and how to apply your international background and HR best practices to solve the company’s specific problems.
- You are a quick learner and can apply your knowledge and skills to make the next project run faster, smoother, and more efficiently. You are proactive and anticipate issues before they arise.
- You have a proven track record of influencing others by building collaborative work relationships based on mutual trust and respect.
- You are a task master and proficient in creating project and actions plans. You derive a deep sense of satisfaction from completing things on time (or ahead of time!) and crossing them off your to-do list.
- You over-communicate to make sure that everyone is clear about processes, roles and responsibilities, timelines, and next steps.
International HR Operations
- Research and document best practices in international HR operations and global relocation.
- Review, develop and implement talent management policies and procedures to facilitate The Post’s expansion into new countries and to deliver excellent employee experiences.
- Ensure that The Washington Post is compliant with national and international labor laws by researching countries’ employment laws, compensation practices, and mandatory benefits.
- Act as a project manager for a cross-functional team consisting of HR, Tax, Finance, Risk Management, Payroll and client groups (Newsroom, Client Services and Engineering) by developing action plans for each country’s expansion, documenting roles and responsibilities, running regular team meetings, tracking costs, facilitating information collection and dissemination, ensuring adherence to deadlines, and communicating with impacted employees and hiring managers.
- Create and maintain shared tools and resources for the international HR operations, including project plans, checklists, knowledge databases, and standard operating procedures.
- Drive excellent employee experience for our international workforce by coordinating and facilitating hiring, onboarding, system access, compensation and benefits setup, performance management, and off-boarding. Recommend total rewards packages specific to each country.
- Ensure timely processing of visa and green card cases by liaising with sponsored employee, employee’s manager, department head, general counsel, immigration counsel, and finance department.
- Proactively commence visa renewals, coordinate document collections, and manage recruitment processes.
- Maintain robust communications with immigrant employees and their managers. Set expectations and provide regular updates on visas and green card cases.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, International Business, Industrial & Labor Relations or related field
- 5-7 years of domestic HR experience; 3-4 years of international HR operations experience
- Knowledge of human resource practices and policies required; knowledge of expatriate assignment and immigration management preferred
- Proven track record of creating policies, redesigning processes and procedures, developing infrastructures and tools to ensure an efficient HR operation
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to interface and communicate with all levels of workforce, entry level to senior management
- Team player with the ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships internally and externally.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org