Nathan Associates is seeking a Managing Associate to support the Trade and Logistics group in our International Development practice at our home office in Arlington, Virginia. This position will require travel possibly including to the Middle East, Africa, South and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and other regions. Candidates must have a relevant advanced degree and significant, progressively responsible experience managing and providing technical assistance on donor-funded projects designed to enhance economic growth through improving trade facilitation, trade policy, business-enabling environments, and economic policy. Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent project management, business development, proposal writing, and client management skills. The position will require frequent international travel and at minimum Spanish language skills. The Managing Associate will report to the Practice Lead for Trade.
- Lead and participate in business development activities, including proposal preparation, as appropriate. (Most commonly, this is as a drafter of technical sections or as proposal director.);
- Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors; gather information on upcoming bid solicitations through travel to the region and building professional networks. Draft and conceptualize firm-wide or practice marketing materials;
- Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm; and
- Develop and maintain contacts with potential clients, partners, consultants, and international institutions.
- Serve as Project Director for long and short term donor projects;
- Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products;
- Prepare terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing;
- Train/oversee work of Associates, Research Associates, Senior Program Assistants, and Program Assistants; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis the Project Management functions of an Associate.
- Prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by more senior staff);
- Make presentations to clients (and to staff) on technical subjects relating to trade policy, trade facilitation, or trade capacity building;.
- Develop proprietary tools/methodologies for broader potential application; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis the technical work functions of a Managing Associate.
- M.A., M.S., M.B.A., or equivalent in relevant field such as Economics, Trade, Business, International Relations or other relevant field;
- Six or more years of relevant professional experience in economic development, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience working on trade policy, trade capacity building, or trade facilitation issues, e.g., with a focus on trade in agriculture, digital trade/ecommerce, standards, or customs modernization;
- Progressively responsible technical, project management, and proposal experience on donor-funded projects;
- Proven experience in maintaining and building client relationships with USAID and other bi-lateral or multi-lateral donors;
- Knowledge or experience in trade issues, including customs, border management, transit, and trade facilitation;
- Proficient in Spanish;
- Ability to work in a team as well as on a self-directed basis;
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Willingness to travel to overseas destinations;
- Experience in USAID project management and solid knowledge of USAID rules and regulations governing project implementation and proposal development;
- Previous experience working in developing countries; and
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org