AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
Policy, Research and International Affairs (PRI) serves AARP by leading the development and articulation of AARP’s public policies, research and insights on the 50+ and issues that matter to them, importing best global practices, and strengthening AARP's reputation for world class expertise and thought leadership.
The Vice President, AARP International is an an integral part of the Policy, Research and International (“PRI”) group, which includes Thought Leadership, the AARP Public Policy Institute, Policy and Brain Health, the Office of Policy Development & Integration and AARP Research. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Thought Leadership, the Vice President, AARP International is a strategic thinker and visionary leader who will work with the SVP for Thought Leadership to position AARP as a global thought leader in aging. This position develops and executes the enterprise-wide strategic direction for international engagements, including programmatic, policy and operational activities.
The Vice President, AARP International will lead and manage in the following areas:
Global Thought Leadership:
- Serve as a key thought leader and manage a team at the focal point of international engagements on aging.
- Position AARP as a global thought leader by developing and maintaining relationships with key thought leaders and influencers in the public, private, and philanthropic sectors.
- Represent AARP with distinction at conferences and meetings and serves as a convener and spokesperson on international issues.
- Oversee international research and actively track promising practices and innovative policies in other parts of the world that could have promise for the United States, and leads programs and forums to promote key findings.
- Personally demonstrates in work and action the highest levels of ethics and integrity.
Strategic Partnerships and Engagements:
- Arrange senior level meetings with high level officials and key stakeholders to exchange views and develop an understanding of the challenges and benefits of global aging.
- Cultivate strong, collaborative relationships with executive management, leadership teams, and staff throughout the organization.
- Advise PRI Chief Public Policy Officer, Thought Leadership SVP, other senior leaders, Executives and AARP Board Members as requested on international matters. Keeps all relevant parties apprised of progress and critical issues requiring broader guidance and input.
Strategy, Management and Execution:
- Provide vision and leadership in executing AARP’s international strategy and leading key initiatives on the global stage.
- Build on the capabilities of an existing team of experts and develop their talents and abilities to reach their optimal performance.
- Develop, deploy, and continually refine a multi-year strategy and operational plan with clear metrics for success.
- Review all potential international engagements to ensure they are in line with the current strategic plan, brand, values, and conform to all AARP public policy stances and internal policies.
- Develop and manage international budget with accuracy and precision.
- Completion of a master’s degree or higher (in international relations or international business, sociology, economics, public policy, or political science or related field).
- 10 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of related training (i.e. Project Management) and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop overseas partnerships to enhance opportunities for greater international dialogues and exchanges with senior leadership and high level officials and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and long-term projects that require meticulous project management or other service-related support and resources.
- Proven ability to manage and work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Experience and familiarity with international policy and the global marketplace as it relates to aging; fluency with issues of aging (retirement policies, pensions, health care) desired.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic planning skills and strong ability to communicate those plans and vision. Experience developing and implementing strategic programs is critical.
- Extensive experience providing strategic and visionary leadership for international programs and implementation of that strategy.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and lead large global projects is essential.
- Action and results oriented, decisive, adaptable quick study, with proven ability to accurately analyze situations and act to provide guidance, strategic thinking and leadership.
- Self-awareness, emotional maturity, and a demonstrated ability to connect authentically with others.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills with the ability to convey the most important points simply and visually, and to effectively communicate the value of their work to the larger organization; familiarity with emerging tools for data visualization preferred.
- Willingness to travel domestically and abroad.
- Experience developing and implementing systems and processes for ROI management – from KPIs and metrics development through reporting.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding morale and team building skills.
- Ability to maintain a strategic view and enable others to share it.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org