With a deep commitment to improving public health globally, the Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) works toward sustainable and lasting change through targeted policy change campaigns and capacity building in low and middle income countries. GHAI is an initiative of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and draws on lessons from tobacco control and other public health advocacy campaigns in more than 50 countries to drive policy change around the globe to improve health. The GHAI now seeks a new Commununcations Director, Road Safety, to lead communication efforts for the road safety program. Road safety is a critical public health priority, as road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death for children and young adults, and 93% of the world's fatalities on the roads occur in low-and middle-income countries, according to the World Health Organization.
The Road Safety Program at the Global Health Advocacy Incubator works to reduce road crash deaths and injuries by providing direct technical assistance and strategic campaign planning and support to civil society organizations and local partners in priority countries identified by Bloomberg Philanthropies.
Candidates should have experience in strategic communications and media advocacy, with the demonstrated ability to use innovative communications tools and tactics to advance a policy objective. This position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Managing Director of the Global Health Advocacy Incubator.
- Provide best-practice strategic communications and media advocacy support to in-country coalitions working to advance laws and policies promoting road safety.
- Coordinate the development and execution of strategic communications plans to advance policy objectives, recommending specific and actionable tools and tactics drawn from across the communications, media relations and online advocacy spectrum.
- Manage a small team of communications professionals, including delegating and assigning country support tasks, overseeing work and quality assurance, and mentoring to ensure professional growth and development.
- Support media relations requests, including drafting or editing press releases and op-eds, as well as strategic communications needs, including designing earned media events and developing paid media strategies.
- Advance digital media advocacy strategy with tools and trainings to promote public health policies on social media and other online platforms, relying on data analytics to inform decision-making.
- Maintain strong working relationships with a diverse, multi-national team and utilize a client-focused approach to supporting in-country coalitions with their communications needs.
- Design and lead communications workshops and training programs as requested by in-country team, including facilitating strategic planning sessions and capacity-building programming to improve skills and abilities in media advocacy.
- At least ten years of relevant experience, with a preference for media relations, communications or digital media experience in the public health, public policy, government or nonprofit sector.
- Significant proven experience designing and implementing integrated communications strategies to advance policy change including elements of paid, owned and earned media and a range of platforms including traditional and digital media.
- Proven ability to manage, lead and mentor, with the ability to earn the trust of a diverse team.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills.
- Commitment to advancing public health and a country-led approach to international development.
- Experience working at the international level and in cross-cultural settings with dispersed teams, with a preference for experience on in-country policy change campaigns;
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, communications, public health, or other relevant field; and
- International travel is required.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, writing sample, resume and salary requirement to: [email protected] . Please reference the position code: CD/GHAI/12 in the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.