The Senior Policy Advisor, Climate will play a key role in the development and implementation of the Conservancy’s US Climate Action Strategy, to build support for federal climate policy through policy analysis, strategic outreach, and advocacy with lawmakers, government agencies and key constituencies and stakeholders and will advise the Conservancy’s state chapters on outreach and advocacy strategies.
Reporting to the Director of Climate and Energy Policy, US Government Relations (USGR), the Senior Policy Advisor, Climate furthers the work of The Nature Conservancy through direct interaction with lawmakers and their staff, Federal agencies, businesses, and other stakeholders to advance our federal climate policy goals. . S/he serves as an external representative on US climate policy, and develop policy concepts, policy strategies, and relevant outreach and relationships to support the Conservancy’s climate action in the US strategy. S/he will serve as an expert and advisor on policy issues and strategic outreach issues, including identifying policy opportunities, evaluating the potential for strategic partnerships, and developing and implementing strategies to influence public policy. S/he will work within USGR’s climate and energy policy team, and coordinate with and provide support to state chapter staff and counterparts in the Conservancy’s North America Region.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- In the area of federal climate policy, apply a range of analytical skills to assess current and emerging policy opportunities;
- As requested, provides policy and strategic advice to the Conservancy’s state chapters;
- Develops written analytical products and other deliverables to support policy and program objectives, for internal and external audiences;
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional interdisciplinary team;
- Acts independently within broad program goals;
- Communicates professionally with a wide variety of people from different cultures;
- Accountable to persuasively convey the mission and policy positions of The Nature Conservancy to diverse groups including key legislators, government officials and others who are critical to the Conservancy’s overall public policy strategies;
- Works in partnership with other organizations in a collaborative and consultative or advisory capacity;
- Ensures compliance with internal policies and external requirements, including federal lobbying laws and regulations;
- Supports multi-year fundraising strategies, and goals;
- Effectively directs and/or participates in complex negotiations;
- Develops constructive and effective working relationships inside and outside the Conservancy.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy, business or related field and 6 years of senior management level experience in government relations, corporate sector, or equivalent combination of education/experience;
- Supervisory experience;
- Fluency in English;
- Federal agency or congressional staff experience or equivalent experience;
- Direct experience working with partners and government agencies;
- Project management experience including coordinating the work of other professionals inside and outside an organization;
- Experience in strategy development and implementation;
- Experience with relationship building skills;
- Experience negotiating complex high profile or sensitive agreements;
- Written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated;
- Master’s degree appreciated;
- Excellent team player with experience working in multi-disciplinary groups, using influence and interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with governments, corporations, partners, donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff;
- Experience conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org