Our vision of a confident, thriving rural Africa means that we want to see everyone thriving, ensuring no one is left behind. African rural communicates can overcome poverty, hunger and inequality for good. With our training and support, smallholder farmers, especially women, discover they can feed their families, make money, protect the environment and strengthen the community.
We work with over 700,000 people a year across six African countries supporting families to create a shared vision of their future and to outline what they want to improve in their own lives. Send a Cow helps families to come together to discuss and decide how they will make those dreams a reality.
We have just started developing an ambitious 10 year strategy to significantly increase the scale and impact of our work. It will be centered on maximizing our contribution to delivering the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 and working in deeper partnership with other organizations with complementary skills and expertise.
We are very excited to be taking this significant step as we seek to build a U.S. fundraising program. We believe there is tremendous capacity in the U.S. to support our work, and hope that the right candidate can build those connections to ensure we can help more people and end hunger in Africa.
Send a Cow US Inc. is currently seeking an Executive Director of U.S. Development to join our Fundraising and Communications team. The successful candidate will drive Send a Cow US Inc income generation and stewardship efforts specifically focused on current and future, private, public and multilateral donors within the USA that require a strategic engagement plan beyond the normal “call for proposal” structure. The Executive Director will be responsible for developing in-depth relationships with the identified donors and organizations, fostering understanding between all parties in order to fund and support Send a Cow’s mission.
In addition to building relationships and alliances with individuals, organizations, churches, foundations and corporations that will increase and diversify funding for Send a Cow Inc, the Executive Director will bring a marketing sensibility to the organization that increases public awareness of how Send a Cow is helping to meet the critical needs of African farmers.
This position requires an enthusiastic and experienced development professional who will have a pro-active attitude and an inspired and strategic outlook. They must be articulate, persuasive and passionate about Send a Cow’s overall mission, vision and goals. The candidate will ideally have experience of working in Africa and a commitment to our African farmers and community groups.
- Work with the U.S. board of trustees to develop and deliver a fundraising strategy to secure significant donations from a wide range of sources initially including foundations, trusts and government sources.
- Lead Send a Cow US Inc’s efforts to design and implement creative strategies for broadening the organization’s base of support and the process of setting goals and priorities for funds development and marketing.
- Identify, cultivate, solidify, and nurture relationships with prospective major donors through regular communication, including face-to-face visits, targeted events, strategic phone calls, and email communications.
- Arrange for donor solicitation meetings for relevant Send a Cow staff and/or US trustees. Prepare briefing documents for donor visits and ensure proper follow-up.
- Work with the Send a Cow UK-based Communications and Fundraising department on marketing materials, concept papers, grant proposals and grant reporting, talking points, web site content etc. to further the strategic initiatives of Send a Cow US.
- Oversee the coordination of financial data gathering and reporting.
- Oversee the process of drafting required reports for fundraising activities, including US fundraising progress reports for US and Group Board meetings, monthly internal updates of the status of fundraising initiatives, required business activity progress reports for funders/donors, and any other relevant reports that may be requested or required.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally including to Africa and manage all aspects of travel independently.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of fundraising work are efficient, effective and comply with all legal and regulatory standards.
- Develop and implement evaluation metrics to measure the success of chosen fundraising/development strategies.
- Manage fundraising related contractors when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in International development, marketing, communications, business, or related field.
- Minimum of five years of fundraising experience with either bilateral/multilateral work with private or public donors or experience in policy/partnership-development/government relations with progressive career development.
- Excellent track record of meeting ambitious goals, building relationships and leading multi-stakeholder projects, demonstrating success at ‘making the ask’ or setting up ‘the ask’ on behalf of the organization.
- Well-versed in international development issues with agriculture/poverty experience preferred.
- Identify new donor prospects and strengthen relationships with existing donors. This includes foundations, trusts, government agencies and other donors.
- Lead prospecting on specific donor targets including intelligence gathering, mapping, relationship-building, leading to the development of a proposal of engagement and income objective.
- Maintain strong donor stewardship programs with assigned donors to ensure continued support and engagement with Send a Cow US Inc.
- Ensure highest level of cooperation and partnership with donors and other key Send a Cow stakeholders.
- Work cross-functionally with internal subject matter experts in the development of funding proposals, donor queries and reports (UK Teams).
- Collaborate with Send a Cow’s communications team (UK based) in the development of targeted communication materials for all USA donor engagement.
- Demonstrated leadership in innovative and dynamic fundraising concepts and marketing strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to master complex issues and convey information with clarity and conviction to audiences of all sizes.
- Strong ability to work in partnership with other staff, donors, the US Board of Trustees, churches and community organizations.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and ideally knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce fundraising software preferred. Strong analytical skills and ability to present data and reports in a user-friendly way.
Behavioural skills required:
- Proven project leadership capabilities as well as strong collaboration and presentation skills with a commitment to the collective output of a team
- Very strong strategic skills
- Ability to build strong relationships and lead by influence
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences including experience in direct communication with donors
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and cross-functional matrix structure
- Flexible and able to manage a dynamic internal and external environment
Reports to: Director of Development (Funding) – Director of Development based in UK with responsibility for global income generation
Benefits: Medical, health and vision are provided.
Send a resume, cover letter detailing record of success in fundraising and development along with references. Deadline for applications is November 7, 2019.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org