The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced professional for the position of Deputy Director of Government Relations. The Deputy Director of Government Relations will help lead a talented and high-performing team responsible for USGLC’s outreach to Congress and the Administration on the importance of America’s global leadership and strategic investments in the U.S. International Affairs Budget. The position will report to the Director of Government Relations and is based in Washington, DC.
- Help Execute USGLC’s Government Relations. Work with the Senior Director and Director of Government Relations to define and implement USGLC’s advocacy strategy for engaging bipartisan policymakers in Congress and the Administration around the need for a strong, effective, and well-resourced International Affairs Budget and smart policies that advance transparent, accountable, and results-driven development and diplomacy programs. Advocacy and engagement strategies include direct lobbying, Capitol Hill events and lobby days, in-district events and meetings, and national coalition mobilizations.
- Oversee Execution of Congressional Events. Oversee the execution of USGLC’s Congressional events – including organizing and implementing Capitol Hill events, briefings, and at least five lobby days. Assist in planning and preparations for Washington, DC-based events involving Members of Congress.
- Represent USGLC. Serve as one of USGLC’s primary representatives on Capitol Hill, responsible for building strong and extensive relationships with bipartisan Members of Congress and Congressional staff. Represent USGLC at public and private events in Washington, DC and around the country. Help lead and facilitate regular collaboration with USGLC member organizations, including through email updates, conference calls, strategy meetings, and events.
- Serve as Expert Resource and Communicator. Track and analyze the International Affairs Budget throughout the federal budget and appropriations process and prepare written and oral updates and analysis for USGLC membership, the Board of Directors, and Capitol Hill. Forms of communication include budget updates and analyses, fact sheets, e-letters, and “Rapid Response” and “Action Alerts.”
- Support USGLC’s Outreach Team. Provide strategic support and direction to national outreach colleagues, especially for congressional engagement across the country. Travel throughout the country on a limited basis to support large (500-person), medium (100-200 person) and small (50-person) events with Members of Congress, as well as lead small in-district meetings. Oversee the targets and preparation for all in-district meetings from a government relations perspective.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in government relations, foreign policy, international relations, global development or a similar subject.
- In-depth knowledge of Capitol Hill, including an understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process.
- Ability to think strategically and create and execute multi-faceted advocacy strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an exceptional attention to detail.
- Confident and articulate speaker who is comfortable presenting before large audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure in a team-based environment.
- Congressional legislative or committee experience is strongly preferred.
- Limited travel is expected.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, a retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays.
Please email a cover letter and resume. Please reference “Deputy Director of Government Relations” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org