Based in the New York headquarters, the Senior Development Officer, Foundation & Government Relations takes the lead in researching and identifying new institutional grant prospects, initiating prospect contact and developing compelling proposal submissions matching Orbis needs with donor priorities. They identify small to mid-level institutional donor prospects, manages submission of proposals to institutional donors and is responsible for interdepartmental coordination of grants management activities required for donor reporting. They also manage a portfolio of mid-level institutional donors and prospects including stewardship and relationship building activities, maintaining records, and seeking opportunities to upgrade grant support.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Senior Development Officer reports to the Global Director of Foundation & Government Relations and collaborates closely with the Grants Associate and other Orbis Development and Program staff. The Senior Development Officer regularly liaises with colleagues in New York as well as Orbis offices globally in carrying out job responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Senior Development Officer cultivates, solicits, and stewards gifts from a portfolio of institutional donors and prospects.
- Write, edit and coordinate high quality LOIs, concept notes and proposals, ensuring compliance with foundation interests and guidelines and promoting coordination across programs, program operations, and other foundation relations and development staff.
- Coordinate with Program to develop budgets and budget narratives for submission with LOIs and proposals.
- Initiate regular cultivation and solicitation visits and calls to foundation prospects, including accompanying program staff. Coordinates preparation of research and briefing materials for own visits, or for executive, program, and/or other development staff.
- Monitor trends in giving and keeps abreast of programmatic developments for application in fundraising strategies and donor relations. Advises on cultivation strategies for foundation donors. Research prospects and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned portfolio.
- Coordinate stewardship for grants in assigned portfolio, working with Program staff to assist in the development of required reports and updates, including ensuring compliance with donor requirements and guidelines.
- Maintain records on foundation contacts, submissions, awards, reports.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Six years of proven success with foundation, corporate, or government cultivation and grant proposal writing required. International experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience with donor/CRM databases a plus.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing and editing
- Excellent organizational ability, ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of standard development practices and techniques, donor cultivation, donor relationship management, proposal and report writing, and prospect research
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible and responsive
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable with complex budgets and logical frameworks
- Intercultural communication skills
- Collaborative team player
- Demonstrated interest in global health, international development