Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This post is located in UN-HABITAT, Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ROLAC) at Mexico City duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Mexico and Cuba Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the programmes and projects of UN-Habitat Mexico Office; monitors and analyzes programme and project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports on urban topics; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources on human settlements in the Region.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to programme and project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc. and prepares related documents/reports as pledging, work programme, programme budget, on active projects assigned by the Director of Mexico and Cuba Office.
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban planning, public policy, political science, international relations or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in programme management, implementation of human settlements and urban development programmes is required.
- Demonstrated work experience in strategic planning processes, development, management and monitoring of projects is required.
- Experience in resource mobilization for technical assistance collaborations with either public or private sector is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations or other similar international organizations is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of UN-Habitat activities, especially with regards to the Habitat Agenda, including the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals is an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in both English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org