Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Europe & Central Asia Unit of the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Coordination Section (CTICS/Pillar 3) of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT). The Programme Officer will report to the Senior Programme Management Officer of CTICS, with additional supervision provided by the Chief of the Office of the Under-Secretary-General (OUSG).
The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) was established by the General Assembly in June 2017. The Office has five main functions: (a) provide leadership on the General Assembly counter-terrorism mandates across the United Nations System; (b) enhance coordination and coherence across the 38 Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force entities to ensure the balanced implementation of the four pillars of the Strategy; (c) strengthen the delivery of United Nations counter-terrorism capacity-building assistance to Member States; (d) improve visibility, advocacy and resource mobilization for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts; and (e) ensure that due priority is given to counter-terrorism across the United Nations System and that the important work on preventing violent extremism is firmly rooted in the Strategy. Programme Management Officers will be in the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Coordination Section (CTICS) and responsible for managing the implementation of strategic assistance programmes for Member States as coordinated through regional counter-terrorism frameworks in the Middle-East and North Africa and in West-Africa.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies,
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of programme and project management. Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to counter-terrorism and the prevention of violent extremism. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international affairs, business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience working in an international setting is required.
- Experience in the development and implementation of counter-terrorism strategies is desirable.
- Experience working in the field is desirable.
- Experience in drafting analytical papers on sensitive management and high profile matters is desirable.
- For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org