Immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
We are seeking dedicated, analytical candidates with a proven track record of performance to join the Belgian Compliance Support Team for a fast growing Money Service Business (MSB). As an international remittance company, Sendwave is subject to many regulatory requirements to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing. As such, Sendwave must conduct investigations and due diligence research on users that demonstrate potentially suspicious transaction activity. The Compliance Support Team conducts necessary investigations while maintaining a positive experience for our legitimate users. The Compliance Specialist position relies on excellent judgment to plan and accomplish goals, working under very limited supervision of a manager.
As a member of our Compliance Support Team, you'll:
- Analyze and investigate complex user transactions and prepare due diligence reports
- Explain Sendwave compliance requirements to users
- Explain escalations and root cause of user behavior to compliance management
- Clearly and timely communicate findings, determinations and recommendations for clearing and blocking users suspected of activity that violates Sendwave Terms & Conditions
- Evaluate user applications for increasing sending limits
- Review sanctions screening and watchlist to prevent terrorist financing
- Hourly with opportunity for overtime
- Pay range: 14.5 euros / hour
- Full-time @40 hours per week, 5 days per week
- Opportunity for promotion and career advancement in fast growing team / company
- Location: Belgium
- Flexible schedule - Monday - Saturday
- 100% remote work
- We are a distributed group of engineers and operations headquarter members and over fifty customer support representatives, spread across three continents who are deeply passionate about our mission.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Swahili, Dutch, Luganda, Somali, Amharic, Mandarin, Wolof, Fante, Ewe and Arabic.
Requirements (must have all to apply)
- Fluent in English and French
- 1-2 years of professional work experience
- Basic knowledge of Google Chrome Operating System (Chromebook), Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Hangouts
- Excellent individual problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working remotely and maintaining a professional work environment
- Analytical and capable of succeeding in a fast-paced team and digital environment
- Self-motivating with a focus on self-improvement
- Appreciation of the legal, compliance, and financial context of role and display appropriate sensitivity to the confidential nature of the work
- Belgian Resident
Nice to haves
- Fluent in Swahili
- Familiar with Slack
- Familiar with ZenDesk
- 1 year of experience in regulatory or compliance environment, a regulatory agency, risk management or other internal control functions (Trade Compliance, Banking, Law firm) within a complex international organization
How to apply
- Submit your resume / CV using the link included.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we fill all positions.
- Sendwave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.