Program Officer, Climate Justice- Latin America Program. Rio de Janeiro. Posting Date: 11/01/2019. Deadline: 11/30/2019
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your expertise in climate change in Latin America and the Caribbean? We are seeking a full-time Program Officer, based in Rio de Janeiro, Bogotá, or Mexico City, to lead a portfolio focused on transforming strong public concern about climate change into bold action in Latin America and the Caribbean, focusing on tackling key obstacles and responding to political opportunities to mitigate global greenhouse emissions, as well as contributing to adaptation and resilience in particularly vulnerable sub-regions.
The Latin America Program addresses rights and governance issues in Latin America primarily through grant making, advocacy, and network-building. We focus on supporting Latin American efforts to reform democratic institutions in ways that are more open and responsive to citizens, realizing human rights, and reducing homicides in a region with extremely high levels of violence. The Latin America Program works with other programs within the Open Society Foundations to share its understanding of political context in the region and identify strategic opportunities in the region. As a Program Officer at Open Society, you will:
What we are looking for:
- Lead and develop the Latin America Program's new climate portfolio to spur bold climate action in the region;
- Assess the organizational capacity and narrative and financial information of potential grantees, and write grant recommendations;
- Monitor grants and identify outcomes of grants and the portfolio;
- Manage relationships with new and existing grantees, contractors and other stakeholders, including regular visits to grantee organizations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Engage in direct advocacy, communications, convenings, strategic alliances among organizations and fields with related goals, and other approaches to maximize impact.
What we offer:
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience working on issues related to climate change;
- Experience advancing social change strategies, including through advocacy, public policy and political processes;
- Prior work within government or nongovernmental organizations in Latin America or the Caribbean;
- Fluency in Portuguese or Spanish, with excellent written and spoken English.
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts;
- With some variability according to location, benefits include generous time off, flexible work arrangements, private medical coverage, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more ;
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the life of a Program Officer at Open Society is like here .
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit a cover letter that addresses the specific skills and experience that OSF requires for Program Officers (guidance is located here ) and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.