Start date: As soon as possible
Type: 1 Year
With the growing consensus that nature can provide at least 30% of the climate solution needed to limit warming to 1.5°C, there is a need to make natural climate solutions mainstream, widely accepted, and investable by catalyzing and scaling action to realize the full potential of nature as a climate solution.
To achieve this goal, CI is hiring a Senior Manager, Corporate Climate Action to maintain and expand CI’s engagement in climate coalitions (particularly those European-based), developing and driving engagement strategies and thought leadership on the role of the private sector in accelerating investment and action towards natural climate solutions, in alignment with CI’s Climate Strategy through the development of new guidance documents and engagement with key fora and platforms, for example. The position will require close coordination with the Climate Team, CI-Europe program, and Center for Environmental Leadership in Business.
The success of the Senior Manager, Corporate Climate Action requires knowledge and experience on climate change, as well as strong experience with the private sector, in order to identify and drive the inclusion of mechanisms, incentives, and action-oriented targets for private sector action on natural climate solutions. S/he will create and execute an outreach strategy, prepare background analyses, provide technical input into ongoing processes, organize internal and external consultations as needed, and advance/sustain key partnerships. S/he will coordinate internally through the cross-divisional Climate Core Team to capitalize on CI’s existing experience and ensure broad input and buy-in from CI’s programs as well as complementarity with the investments of the Climate Change Strategy.
The Senior Manager, Corporate Climate Action, will work closely with all members of the Climate Team, CI Europe, the Center for Environmental Leadership in Business, and other relevant CI divisions (HQ and field) as needed. S/he will report to the VP and Managing Director of CI Europe, with a dotted line to CELB and the Climate Team.
Lead CI’s engagement with key corporate coalitions and platforms
- Represent CI in workshops, conferences, and technical meetings related to corporate climate target-setting (such as the Science-based target initiative); corporate action coalitions (such as WeMeanBusiness, World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Natural Climate Solutions Alliance, Science Based Targets Initiative) – in particular to proactively shape opportunities for natural climate solutions;
- Engage with investor action platforms such as Climate Action 100+ and the Europe Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC) to inform the incorporation of natural climate solutions in key initiatives;
- Establishing partnerships with key organizations - e.g. the European Climate Foundation, CDP, IDH, the Consumer Goods Forum and CAN Europe;
- Exploring partnerships to advance CI’s ambitious reforestation target – e.g. IDH and the European forest-based industries (woodworking, pulp and paper, forest management);
- Attend relevant external events on behalf of CI, and/or identifying the appropriate CI representative;
- Proactively identifying and engaging key external partners;
- Coordinate with all relevant CI teams.
Develop and/or shape actionable initiatives for corporate action on natural climate solutions
- Contribute to institutional thought leadership on climate change issues as they relate to private sector engagement (both high-emitting sectors and those with deforestation within supply chains);
- Provide substantive technical input into development of instruments or mechanisms for accelerating private sector action in natural climate solutions, including, inter alia, the development of new research, papers, as needed;
- Provide substantive technical input into ongoing processes led by external organizations for measuring/reporting corporate progress towards achieving climate goals, disclosures/transparency, target-setting, design of mechanisms to scale natural climate solutions;
- Developing strategies to incentivize companies to support nature-based solutions - e.g. making full use of CI’s science tools & partnerships (trends.earth, trase.earth, …) to work together with companies on the carbon footprint associated to their supply chains;
- Organize events and meetings collaboratively with partners to advance progress towards meeting institutional climate goals;
- Guide the development of communications products that explain the campaign’s goals and intended or achieved results.
Support internal strategy development and execution
- Participate in Climate Change Core Team, CELB, and other divisional or regional team meetings (as appropriate) to provide technical input into institutional priorities and action plans;
- Support CI’s country programs in designing activities that align with and respond to private sector finance opportunities;
- Oversee the creation of products/materials such as videos, factsheets, and brochures as needed.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts for CI’s climate change work – through proposal development and review;
- Proactively pursue fundraising opportunities on corporate climate action in order to support CI’s strategic objectives.
This is a full-time position for 1 (one) year. Normal office environment, In Brussels, Belgium. Travel time up to 20%. Candidates must be EU nationals or have a valid work permit for Belgium.
(Applicants who do not meet these minimum requirements will not be considered)
- Graduate degree in environmental sciences, ecology, climate change, public policy, corporate sustainability, or similar;
- Strong experience on climate-related issues;
- Proficiency with both climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Excellent presentation, communications, and networking skills;
- Able to effectively work in a team across the full diversity of CI’s global organization;
- Experience convening a broad range of individuals;
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with multicultural, multidisciplinary teams to produce concrete results;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English;
- Candidates should be EU nationals or have a valid work permit for Belgium.
- Fundraising experience;
- Experience in developing countries;
- Ability to communicate in Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese.
A competitive salary and benefits package are offered commensurate with qualifications and experience, including extra-legal leave time, complementary health insurance, lunch vouchers, etc.
As we pursue our vision and mission, we are guided by these essential and values:
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms;
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences;
- Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions;
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results;
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org