Legal Assistant. New York. Posting Date: 11/07/2019. Deadline: 11/23/2019
Do you want to help make the world a better place? We're seeking a Legal Assistant based in New York to support the daily work of the team of Office of the General Counsel.
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Office of the General Counsel handles a wide variety of domestic and international legal issues in many fields, including exempt organizations law and compliance with tax laws and regulations applicable to private foundations. The Office of the General Counsel also provides general corporate advice; advising with respect to domestic and international grant-making; and advising with respect to employment law, intellectual property issues, and real estate matters - https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/who-we-are
As Legal Assistant at Open Society you will:
- Acting as a point of contact and responding to inquiries from within the Open Society Foundations network, which may involve resolving basic requests, basic research, or determining the right attorney to respond to the request
- Drafting legal contracts, letters of agreement, and other legal documents
- Reviewing compliance with internal policy, rules, regulations, and applicable law
- Performing basic legal research to assist the legal team with preparation of accurate and timely reports, legal advice, case files, and other legal documents, under general supervision
- Organizing legal files and materials so that they are easily accessed and retrieved without compromising the confidentiality or privacy of the information they contain
- Assisting with preparation of lists, status charts, and data management integral to the department
- Providing assistance support to attorneys as assigned under the functional supervision of the assigned attorney
- Providing meeting and administrative support, (e.g., scheduling meetings, set-up for trainings, and ensuring meeting conference room and equipment are available, answering phones, printing, copying, scanning, filing, updating work files, performing relevant record-keeping, making travel arrangements, coordinating visas, and preparing expense reports)
What we are looking for:
- Demonstrated interest in legal concepts
- Familiarity with research concepts
- Understanding of cross-cultural sensitivity
- Experience working with multiple clients to resolve legal issues, and interacting with high needs clients
- High level of attention to detail, and organization skills
- Experience with organizing administrative tasks, (e.g., scheduling meetings, preparing expense reports, organizing information, maintaining confidentiality)
- Familiarity with data management software - contract processing system, preferred
- Comfortable working independently and on a team
Desirable (but not required):
- Experience conducting legal research and analysis, preferred
- Experience with contract drafting, preferred
- Familiarity with the legal aspects of grant making, preferred
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perksdesigned for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more .
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the life of some in a similar position at Open Society is like:
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Please note, this position is not eligible for work authorization sponsorship.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.