Climate change is increasing the frequency and ferocity of disasters and reducing the health of ecosystems on which we depend, affecting us all, with an outsized impact on the those living in poverty. It is fueling conflict and fragility with over 200 million people—the highest number on record—needing humanitarian assistance today. Over the next decade, these numbers are expected to rise given the combined impact of climate change and conflict, disproportionately affecting women, girls, and sexual and gender minorities around the world. Without major societal transformations and bolstered community resilience, the climate crisis threatens to erode the gains we have made towards human development globally. On the bright side, the climate crisis is spurring increased global activism and institutional engagement and generates momentum for building a more sustainable world. Oxfam believes climate change is fundamentally an issue of rights and inequalities, with notable implications for gender justice. At Oxfam, we believe that climate solutions need both bold policy change and implementation that build gender justice and equity for all. This is why climate will be a core part of Oxfam America’s 2020-2030 Strategic Framework.[i]
Climate is a cross-cutting as well as stand-alone priority for Oxfam America. Therefore, the Associate Director, Climate Change will oversee the climate team’s collaboration with current program and policy themes in OUS such as Food Systems, Humanitarian, Power & Money, and US Domestic Program. In addition, the position will oversee the team’s engagement and collaboration within the Oxfam International Confederation, the Oxfam Global Strategic Program on Climate Change, with other relevant affiliates, regional platforms and country offices. The position will work closely with Resource Development and Public Engagement colleagues to raise funding and increase brand awareness for Oxfam America on climate issues.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Associate Director, Climate Change will work closely with members of the climate team to provide strategic, technical, policy, fundraising, and thought leadership for Oxfam America’s work on climate change. The position will work closely with the climate team, Senior Leadership Team, and others to implement the Strategic Framework and structure Oxfam America’s engagement and portfolio on climate. The position will lead the development of and oversee a portfolio of high-quality program investments and impact, policy, advocacy and research initiatives which integrate gender justice and inequality at its core. Together with the climate team and Resource Development, the position will support robust fundraising for Oxfam. The position will be a key spokesperson for Oxfam America on climate change issues, bringing our unique perspective on inequality and poverty from a systems approach. Together with the climate team, the position will represent Oxfam America’s program to external stakeholders such as peer organizations, academic institutions, policy makers, the media and other key stakeholders within and outside of the climate change space.
Strategic Leadership and Representation
- Lead the climate team in agenda setting, strategy development and execution of a body of work to achieve Oxfam America’s new Strategic Framework and Oxfam’s strategic goals.
- Support the research and learning agenda on Oxfam’s approach in climate change.
- Represent Oxfam externally, influencing key external debates on climate change and related agenda such as gender justice and inequality.
- Oversee relationships development and cultivation with donors, Oxfam affiliates, and key country partners to support program development and implementation.
- Oversee the development of alliance, networks and strategic partnerships with government, non-government, youth movement, academic institutions, media, think tanks, private sector actors, and donors to expand Oxfam’s influence and impact on climate change issues.
Strategic contributor to Oxfam International Climate and Energy initiatives
- Together with the climate team and other Oxfam America stakeholders, contribute to the development of Oxfam International (OI) campaign strategies that integrate climate and energy issues, public engagement, program implementation and link these strategies to Oxfam America’s strategic directions.
- Provide policy and strategic inputs to OI campaign teams, participate in campaign management and execution.
- Contribute, and where appropriate, lead Oxfam International global teams responsible for delivering program interventions, including policy advocacy, aimed at influencing governments and other stakeholders in national, regional and global spaces.
- Appoint and oversee Oxfam’s America technical and other resources contributions to the OI Global Strategic Program on Climate Change for its successful implementation.
- Represent or appoint Oxfam America staff in OI Knowledge Hub and other related Climate Change initiatives.
Portfolio Management for Climate Change priorities
- Coordinate team’s effort in co-designing with Oxfam country, regional, functional and thematic teams, relevant OUS staff and teams, Knowledge Hubs and affiliates to design relevant and high impact projects aligned with and supporting Oxfam country and regional strategies.
- Coordinate Oxfam America climate change program’s investment, technical expertise and other assets to maximize influence and impact
- Ensure policy advocacy, inequality and gender justice are mainstreamed in project and program objectives and outcomes as a mechanism for achieving system level change.
- Establish project management processes and implementation in line with Oxfam America’s feminist principles, values, compliance, program quality standards, monitoring, evaluation and learning as well as communication.
- Ensure responsibility for project expenditure, financial accountability, planning requirements, grant reporting and donor compliances.
People management and culture
- Demonstrate in management style as well as ways of working Oxfam’s core values and culture in line with gender justice, feminist principles, safeguarding standards, and other relevant policy and practice.
- Set clear goals and expectations and manage execution within teams that enable performance and accountability.
- Provide timely guidance and support to staff as appropriate to carry out their responsibilities.
- Mentor and develop staff, ensuring they receive professional guidance and development opportunities that allow them to grow and be challenged.
- Promote an open, equitable, diverse and participatory work environment.
- Identify and execute fundraising strategies, seeking to build a large high leverage program & policy portfolio that support quality programming in priority countries and regionsand in the US.
- Lead the development of cohesive, focused and effective program proposals.
- Coordinate the gathering and sharing of information on existing and emerging donor opportunities and liaise with appropriate Oxfam America teams to secure funding.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
The incumbent will work effectively and collaboratively to:
- Build a team-based culture of work, perform all duties appropriately for a multilateral and multi-cultural environment, treat all persons with dignity and respect, and be familiar with Oxfam America’s mission, goals, values and culture.
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Maintain and encourage positive attitude and energy, assisting colleagues wherever possible in solving problems.
- Understand and display gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Provide a safe environment for staff, partners, change agents, and promote safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Understand the importance on investing in monitoring, evaluation and learning and Social Accountability and to adapt the strategies of the programs based on the evidence produced.
- Travel for up to 30% of time in the US and globally.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Ten or more years of related work experience, including in the international development, climate change, energy, and/other Oxfam’s thematic areas in the private sector and/or in a non-profit setting.
- Strong leadership including a minimum of three years in management, ability to motivate and manage a team, to think strategically, develop compelling vision and ideas and inspire team and other audiences to act to achieve influence and impact.
- Knowledge of US climate change legislation and international climate change policy and institutions.
- Ability to speak in public and effectively represent Oxfam to a range of different audiences, including the media and high-level public and private sector officials
- Ability to make sound independent decisions and judgment calls.
- Strong demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, writing for a variety of audiences.
- Experience preparing and managing budgets.
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills; imagination and creativity to find information.
- Strong ability to be influential, to conduct policy analysis and to include policy and advocacy in programming to achieve systemic changes.
- Collegial nature and ability to develop good relationships with multiple constituencies and work as a team member.
1. Working experience in the global south.
2. Cross-cultural understanding of how an international development agency operates.
3. Working experience on Capitol Hill, an executive agency of government, or in government affairs for a for-profit or not-for-profit organization
4. Ability to communicate in Spanish or French
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org