The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
Context of the role
The ECF EU Institutional Relations Programme works with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks, politics, business and movements to support positive action on climate and energy across the EU. The start of the new European Commission provides an opportunity for agenda-setting on climate action, especially in the run-up to COP26 where the EU is expected to play a major role and pledge a higher 2030 greenhouse gas emission target.
We are open for new approaches to foster climate protection at the EU level. We work to build political will for more ambitious action on climate change; to strengthen and broaden the coalition with different means and partners; to develop solutions to the policy and practical challenges to decarbonisation of the entire economy in a socially acceptable way.
This job offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support a major ECF programme at an important stage in the development of the climate and energy debate in Europe.
The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advice, dealing with grant management, and monitoring and evaluating the progress of different work streams. There will be direct engagement with policymakers in the EU institutions, other ECF programmes, partners and funders in designing and aligning strategies.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy development: supporting setting up the strategy on bi-partisan support for climate action in the EU institutions, related priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors;
- Grant-making: developing the scope of work for different ECF projects; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors;
- Research activities & prospecting: supporting the Director in scoping the landscape around local and national climate politics and advocacy, or cross-cutting projects with other teams in the organisation, as well as identifying potential new projects & grantees;
- Project management: Managing projects aiming at growing bi-partisan consensus on the need to accelerate the decarbonisation of the EU economy in a socially acceptable way while maintaining competitiveness of EU industry;
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s other programme teams and the organisation’s operations and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and work streams;
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business and civil society communities or movements in Brussels and across the EU.
We are looking for a candidate who has 5-8 years of experience of delivering impact in influencing an area of policy, with a preference for those who have worked in any of the EU institutions (including permanent representations).
The following attributes are sought by applicants:
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- 5-8 years’ experience, preferably in or working closely with the EU institutions;
- Excellent knowledge of the EU’s policy-making processes and deep understanding of climate change and energy policies as well as the political challenges to making progress with deeper emission reductions;
- Very strong verbal, written and presentational skills in English, other EU languages are an asset;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Strong network and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Agile leader, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation of plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and resultsoriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time permanent contract.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org