Trajectory, the official magazine of the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF), seeks a skilled journalism intern. USGIF is a 501c3 educational nonprofit dedicated to furthering geospatial science and technology in the interest of global security. The award-winning trajectory magazine launched in 2012 and includes a quarterly print publication, website and blog, monthly e-newsletter, and social media presence. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the trajectory website re-launch in February and contribute some of the first content to the updated site.
- Research, pitch, and write weekly web exclusives and blog posts for trajectorymagazine.com on a wide range of topics.
- Edit web content and print magazine proofs.
- Contribute to trajectory social media accounts.
- Assist in updating trajectory circulation data, to include Congressional mailing list.
- Other duties as assigned.
Location: Washington DC Metro Area or Telecommute
Compensation: Paid, stipend, or college credit
- Must be an upper-level undergraduate student, graduate student, or recent graduate majoring in journalism or a related field.
- Strong reporting, writing, and editing skills.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 8 to 10 hours per week.
- Ability to represent trajectory magazine in a professional manner.
- Ability to self-direct, especially if interning remotely.
- Social media skills.
- A demonstrated interest in science, technology, and/or national security journalism.
- Prior internship, freelance, and/or student newspaper experience.
- Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics best practices.
- Learn from experienced J-school graduates.
- Add published clips to your portfolio.
- Interview high profile sources from throughout the science, technology, and national security communities.
- Opportunities to sit in on trajectory editorial planning meetings/calls to gain knowledge of magazine publishing.
- Potential opportunities to attend USGIF events for additional professional experience and networking.
- Flexible schedule.
Send a resume, cover letter, and 3 writing samples to USGIF Editorial Director Kristin Quinn.
No phone calls please.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*