Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, wesupport the right of every individual to be free.
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Program Officer will supportthe work of Freedom House's Emergency Assistance Program (EAP), namely providing emergency assistance to human rights defenders (HRDs) and civil society organizations (CSOs) under threat around the world. EAP provides rapid response financial assistance to these activists and organizations who are targeted because of their peaceful human rights work, allowing them to improve their security, address physical and legal attacks, relocate out of danger, and more.
The Program Officer will be responsible for all emergency assistance cases in Arabic (MENA), which includes vetting the legitimacy of requests, building our referral network of HRDs and CSOs in the region, and conducting proactive outreach to individuals and organizations at risk. The position is based in Washington, DC.
· Bachelor's degree in, international relations /development, human rights, journalism, political science, law, or related field, Master's degree a plus
· Minimum 3 – 5 years of experienceworking in an international context with civil society organizations and/or human rights defenders; experience living and/or working in the Middle East and North Africa required
· Written and spoken fluency in Arabic and English is required.
· Professional language skills in French or another language a plus.
· Strong appreciation of and demonstrated experience in human rights work
· Ability to assess and address the security issues of threatened civil society actors ; familiarity withdigital security issues and tools a significant plus
· Experience workingon a team in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
Some Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage intake, vetting, and processing of emergency cases and provide small grants to at-risk HRDs and CSOs
· Monitor key developments regarding human rights violations and proactively respond to the needs of frontline activists
· Conduct outreach toHRDs and CSOs globally to develop and expand our referral network
· Cover Washington DC-based events pertaining to relevant human rights concerns
· Develop effective professional relationships with partner organizations
· Support proposal writing, identify new donors and partners, and draft narrative reports to funders
· Carry out weekly, monthly and quarterly program reporting on a regional and global level
· Other related duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
We offer great benefits including :
· Generously subsidized dental insurance
· Generously subsidized vision insurance
· Generously subsidized health insurance with three options (HMO, POS, PPO)
· 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
· 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
· Supplemental/voluntary life insurance for employee, spouse, and child(ren)
· 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
· Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
· Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
· Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
· Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
· And much more…
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*