Serves as principal representative of the American Bar Association (ABA) in Brussels, leading efforts to develop ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ROLI) relations with bilateral European and EU donor agencies and representing the ABA in European fora relating to the legal profession and rule of law development.
- In coordination with senior staff of ABA ROLI, cultivate awareness of and support for ABA international legal development programs among European policymakers and donor agencies.
- Work with ABA ROLI’s Outreach Office and the ABA’s Communications and Media Relations Division to advance a strategy that enhances ABA ROLI’s profile among EU policy-makers, prospective donors, and the EU international development community.
- As a member of the ABA ROLI Senior Staff, work with other members of the ABA ROLI senior management team in Washington, DC to implement the ROLI strategic plan.
- Represent the ABA in European policymaking fora relating to regulation of the legal profession and global rule of law development.
- Manages personnel and resources of the office, in accordance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Coordinate with and advise other ABA entities regarding their European programming and membership outreach activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school, a comparable degree from a recognized foreign law school, or a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least ten years’ experience in relevant professional settings, including engagement with European policy-makers and donor agencies.
- Experience interacting with key European government and EU actors.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Experience working in the European international development sector and garnering European and EU grant funding for international development projects.
- Experience in the fields of international rule of law development, human rights, humanitarian assistance, or international law enforcement.
- Experience working in international nonprofit organizations and/or professional associations.
- Knowledge of other European languages.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.