Oversee the development of programmes on gender equality and ending violence against women to support Programme Presence Office (PPO)/Country Office (CO)/Multi Country Office (MCO) teams:
- Oversee the development of regional programme documents on gender equality and EVAW;
- Provide technical inputs to programme proposals from PPOs, Cos and MCO;
- Provide advice on contextualizing/ localizing programme documents, country strategies, and knowledge products;
- Coordinate proper monitoring and reporting on gender equality and EVAW in collaboration with programme teams.
Provide capacity building support to Programme Presence Office (PPO)/Country Office (CO)/Multi Country Office (MCO) teams and partners:
- Provide substantive technical and policy support to PPOs, COs and MCO programme teams in developing and strengthening projects/programmes;
- Develop, implement and monitor capacity building initiatives;
- Provide technical support to partners on implementation of gender equality and EVAW programmes and initiatives;
- Provide technical policy advice to programme/ project managers/ specialists in the region.
Establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with stakeholders, regional/international actors and development partners:
- Build and maintain alliances and strategic partnerships for the advancement of gender equality and EVAW;
- Build and maintain close liaisons with relevant donors and other actors supporting efforts towards gender equality and EVAW;
- Production of periodic updates and briefs on regional/country development situations to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ;
- Maintain close contact with relevant staff in UN Women HQ.
Manage resource mobilization for ending violence against women in the region:
- Participate in the implementation, monitoring and periodic updating of the resource mobilization strategy on EVAW;
- Provide support to field based presences in the region in mobilizing resources for the implementation of EVAW initiatives;
- Research and analyze information on donors; prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
Oversee the design of gender equality and ending violence against women initiatives in the region and the development of relevant knowledge products:
- Provide policy recommendations and guidance to strategic planning and positioning on EVAW;
- Work closely with and provide advice to regional/national bodies and interagency groups that influence national policies related to gender equality and EVAW and where necessary represent UN Women;
- Research, develop and present analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, correspondence, and knowledge products on gender equality and EVAW;
- Identify promising practices, technical expertise, and strategic opportunities in EVAW.
Oversee knowledge building and sharing for gender equality and ending violence against women:
- Identify and disseminate lessons learnt and good practices in collaboration with country offices;
- Ensure technical skills and knowledge are shared within and among RO/PPOs/Cos/MCO.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality technical advice and support;
- Leadership in area of expertise in the region;
- Quality reports and other strategic documents drafted and submitted in a timely manner;
- Strong relationships with various partners and stakeholders;
- UN Women is well represented in important meetings on topics related to expertise;
- Contributions to resource mobilization;
- Timely and quality knowledge products.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for Diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- emonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent knowledge of gender equality and ending violence against women issues;
- Knowledge of methodologies and best practices for promoting gender equality, equity and ending violence against women in general and in the Americas and the Caribbean region in particular;
- Strong knowledge of the Americas and Caribbean region;
- Knowledge of the UN System;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising;
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative policy research;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to write policy papers, speeches, briefings;
- Strong knowledge of programme development, implementation, results based management and reporting.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, international relations or other social science fields is required. Specialized studies in gender is a distinct advantage.
- At least 7 years progressively responsible experience in designing and managing programmes and advocating for gender equality and ending violence against women, ideally with some experience in developing countries preferably in the Americas and Caribbean region;
- Experience in programme, policy analysis, and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset;
- Experience working in the Americas and Caribbean region is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
- Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an asset;
- Knowledge of other UN official working language is an asset.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*