Poverty Alleviation program is new effort to support our mission in China. The China Program’s Policy, Advocacy and Government Relations team is recruiting a Senior Program Officer where 80% of the capacity will be allocated to leading the China Poverty Alleviation (PA) initiative, including policy research, strategy development, grants management, program implementation and partnership management.
The remaining 20% capacity will support other advocacy-related initiatives of the China office on an as needed basis: including but not limited to government relations, advocacy for China’s stronger role as a global development partner, strategy development support of R&D and healthcare advocacy, public health initiatives, etc.
Key duties and responsibilities include
- Lead the China PA initiative, including the development and continuous refinement of the China PA strategy and its implementation plan: Development and refine strategies regarding overall engagement in PA, issue-specific strategies that include support global sharing of China PA learning, mobilize social participation in PA, improve rural basic healthcare, improve poor rural early childhood nutrition, improve fin services for the poor population etc.
- Drive strategic alignment internally and secure cross-foundation people and financial resources: Collaborate with multiple Program Strategy teams in strategic alignment, progress update, problem solving and resource planning.
- Develop partnership network and cultivate champions: Work closely with existing partners, conduct outreach to new partners, and identify potential partners to support the PA strategy.
- Oversee the PA portfolio and manage grant/contracts to implement the PA strategy: identify potential partners, develop initial concept, and coordinate with grantees/contractors to complete the investment proposal process.
- Oversee and manage the implementation of PA projects: review and approve grantee work plan and budget; monitor program progress and expenditure; Identify, understand, and solve problems as they occur during program implementation; review and analyze progress reports, maintain close relationship and coordinate the work of key stakeholders, including government, grantees, private sector, NGOs, etc.
- Address implementation issues of PA program including the following: Analyze programmatic problems and develop approaches to address these problems; Develop M&E plans and help organize the system for collecting and analyzing data for M&E; Organize appropriate TA to support program implementation.
- Direct assistance to grantees in the following areas: develop plans and approaches to implementation; develop properly budget and track finances; build capacity of program staff; provide technical assistance according to the needs of grantees.
- Support PA-related external and internal engagement, prepare and support Co-chair and foundation leaders’ visits and meetings with Chinese officials related to the poverty alleviation initiative; prepare policy papers and internal briefing materials.
- Support other policy and advocacy initiatives of China Office as needed: facilitate government relations outreach, provide thought partnership to other advocacy related initiatives, provide crosscutting support to P&A team as needed, etc.
- Support the strategy development on healthcare and R&D advocacy: topics including expansion of EPI to include new essential vaccines; alignment of vaccine development and registration process with WHO PQ to expand reach of Chinese vaccines; increase China's participation in multilateral contribution such as GAVI; increase R&D in global health.
- Involvement as part of China Office: develop individual work plan; active participation in team meetings.
- This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees and partners in the field.
Reports to: Deputy Director, Policy, Advocacy and Government Relations.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in Poverty Alleviation (PA)/development sector, including experience in senior position of international non-profit organization and in Chinese government is highly desired.
- Master/MBA/MPA or similar degree in a plus or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiar with working alongside government partners, both at central and local levels. Strong relationship with CPAD, NHFPC, or PBOC is a plus.
- Detailed and current knowledge of PA landscape in China, including but not limited to policy makers, academia, opinion leaders and NGOs.
- Knowledge in China’s rural healthcare, early childhood development, financial services for the poor is ideal.
- Good knowledge of China’s development cooperation with other countries.
- Experience in managing on-the-field poverty alleviation and development programs.
- Demonstrated strategic skills and capacity to conceptualize, structure, negotiate, and manage projects/programs in a matrix team environment.
- Ability for and experience in leading and working with a range of colleagues, consultants, leaders in government agencies, international organizations, private sector, and academia.
- Strong judgment and ability to maintain professional, upbeat attitude and sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Exceptional results orientation combined with strong relationship management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to turn research findings into action.
- Innovative and open-minded approach to all aspects of work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both Chinese and English, in positions requiring communication with a broad and diverse audience.
- Strong public presentation skills, including ability to represent the Foundation at external even.
- Experience in multicultural company/organization.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*