The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Programme Manager - Elections - Naypyitaw
In Myanmar, International IDEA works in three main areas: electoral processes, transition to democracy and parliamentary support. International DEA supports inclusive, democratic elections through capacity assistance to the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties, civil society, media and other democratic stakeholders. This is part of the Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy (STEP Democracy) project, funded by the European Union.
In the STEP Democracy programme, the European Union provides support via eight organizations and four international organizations; the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA), the Danish Institute for Parties and Democracy (DIPD), the Democracy Reporting International (DRI), and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF); and the four local organizations; Myanmar Egress, Hornbill Organization, the Scholar Institute and the Naushawng Education Network, which are implementing voter education programmes with FNF. STEP Democracy has a strong commitment to an open and flexible approach to democratic reform, which is mindful of the rich history and cultural diversity of Myanmar and which does not seek to impose solutions.
The Programme Manager will be an electoral assistance expert with experience in an advisory role in electoral management bodies. S/he will oversee the implementation of International IDEA’s growing electoral programming in Myanmar in the Union Election Commission (UEC), based in the capital city of Nay Pyi Taw and with key electoral stakeholders. The incumbent will have experience in working with Election Management Bodies, electoral risk management, election law reform and stakeholder relations. The Programme Manager will provide oversight and management to local staff and visiting consultants who will work directly with the UEC on behalf of International IDEA. Key to the role is the incumbent’s ability to build relationships with the UEC, other international implementers within the UEC, with implementing partners and more broadly, with the election support community in Myanmar.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the implementation of International IDEA’s Electoral Support programme through direct daily engagement with the UEC and coordination with other implementers;
- Facilitates engagement, identifies areas for professional development and provides supervision of International IDEA staff in order to achieve project goals;
- Leads the creation of ongoing analysis on electoral management and reform issues for International IDEA, donors, governance committees and provides advice on strategic direction;
- Conceptualizes, plans and conducts relevant meetings, consultations, study missions, consultant visits and workshops;
- Undertakes research and draws upon relevant International IDEA knowledge resource networks and tools to respond to topical issues pertaining to electoral management and reform;
- Ensures oversight of project funds in accordance with donor and International IDEA regulations;
- Monitors and evaluates the project activities in accordance with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) plan;
- Ensures an integrated approach to election support within the STEP Democracy program under advice from the Programme Manager – STEP Democracy and the HOM;
- Contributes to programme design and funding proposals for the extension of the STEP Democracy project;
- Prepares and presents project-related progress reports to partner organizations and donors.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Myanmar Programme.
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Electoral assistance expertise, specifically within electoral risk management, election law reform and stakeholder relations; Solid experience in an advisory role to EMB's;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget of his/her project(s).
- Manages a generally homogeneous team, sets team priorities and manages resources; Provides oversight, mentoring and development opportunities for team members;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; Acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Builds relationships, specifically with the UEC, international implementers within the UEC, implementing partners and more broadly, with the election support community;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- University degree and a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in the implementation of programmes in the field of electoral support, specifically experience in working with Election Management Bodies, electoral risk management, election law reform and stakeholder relations;
- A minimum of 3 years’ solid experience in project management and the management of teams;
- Experience in South-East Asia region, preferably within Myanmar is advantageous;
- Experience within the areas of conflict, security, democracy and governance, will be considered an asset;
- Experience working with the EU is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*