The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
As International IDEA seeks to secure increasing amounts of restricted funding, our priorities will focus on gathering strategic intelligence regarding key donors, their priorities, and upcoming calls for proposals, as well as to produce high quality concepts notes and project proposals. It is also essential for us to understanding donor funding cycles to maximise our chances of acquiring funding.
This is a key position within the Executive Division, and will support the Executive Director in her/his mandate to mobilize resources for the institute. Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders will be a crucial element of this post.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyses the global political, social and economic landscape relevant to International IDEA’s Strategy 2018-2022 and identifies opportunity for programme development;
- Identifies and engages with and presents International IDEA’s expertise to Member States, prospective Member States, non-Member States, international organizations and private foundations whose mandate offers potential areas for collaboration with IDEA, in relation to the impact areas and cross-cutting issues defined in International IDEA’s Strategy 2018-2022;
- Identifies and implements a strategy to mobilize resources from non-traditional sources such as private sector or foundations;
- Builds and maintains relationships with traditional and non-traditional donors to identify their funding priorities and trends;
- Gathers strategic intelligence regarding key donors, with a focus on understanding their funding cycles, and upcoming calls for proposals;
- Leads the development of high quality concept notes, and project proposal documentation, in close collaboration with programmatic teams across the institute;
- Explores and identifies the possibilities of non-financial contributions from donors, members states and partners;
- Designs, implements and maintains institution-wide processes and tools to facilitate information management, internal communications and timely follow-up in the pursuit of new partnership and funding opportunities;
- Works closely with programmatic teams across International IDEA to provide guidance on translating early discussions with potential partners into concept notes and project proposals;
- Oversees internal consultations and quality assurance in relation to concept notes, project proposals and other documents that may be required for funding solicitation, including (but not limited to) through the use of International IDEA’s Project Design Quality Management and Support Procedure;
- Advises and assists programmatic teams at International IDEA to maintain strategic and timely communications and reporting relationships with project donors;
- Fosters the sustainable strengthening of IDEA’s capacity in relation to funding and partnership development by shaping, developing and facilitating team or individual training and coaching, on a needs basis.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills and significant experience in their field;
- Contributes to assigned projects with authority, and provides policy analysis and design as appropriate;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Has expert knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with excellent understanding of related disciplines in order to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner;
- Possesses relevant knowledge of international organizations;
- Is familiar with major international, regional and local trends in democracy building.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design , management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Leadership capabilities that include coaching staff to high level of performance & engaging in effective cross cultural & cross functional working to achieve shared goals and effective indirect line management;
- Assumes the leadership of complex initiatives involving multiple internal and external stakeholders/partners;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the funding and strategic management of the organisation, as well as on institutional relations to Member States, donors, host governments and peers;
- Will impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Fluency in English and at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is essential;
- Liaises permanently with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- University degree in political or social sciences, law, economics and/or finance, international development or a related subject;
- A minimum 8-10 years of working experience working for a governmental, intergovernmental and/or non-governmental organization including experience in fundraising and donor relations;
- Relevant knowledge of funding procedures of international organizations and major donors;
- Experience mobilizing resources from non-traditional sources would be an asset;
- Experience working with EU funding would be an asset.
Terms of Contract
Two (2) year fixed term appointment.
Salary €5 456 NET plus benefits.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*