UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The United Nations Trust Fund to End Violence against Women (UN Trust Fund) was established through the UN General Assembly Resolution 50/166 in 1996 with UN Women as its Administrator on behalf of the UN system. The UN Trust Fund (UNTF) is a global multi-lateral grant making mechanism supporting national efforts to prevent and end violence against women and girls, one of the most widespread human rights violations in the world. The UN Trust Fund provides technical assistance and funding to advance the development of innovative models and strategic interventions in the area of ending violence against women and girls. To date, the UN Trust Fund has awarded US $129 million to 426 initiatives in 139 countries and territories.
Under the guidance of the Chief of the UN Trust Fund, the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager will lead the implementation of the resource mobilization and advocacy strategies for the UN Trust Fund, working with and supporting existing donors and partners as well as cultivating new partnerships with a view of raising new funds for grant making. This will include ensuring continuum of funds flow for the work of the funds and provision of annual grants and actively engaging with Member States, private sector and relevant individuals for giving to the funds and collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Provide leadership and oversight in the implementation of resource mobilization and advocacy strategies for the UN Trust Fund
- Lead and oversee the development and implementation of resource mobilization and advocacy strategies
- Develop and ensure the implementation of annual resource mobilization, communications and advocacy plans of the UN Trust Fund and identify and seize strategic resource mobilization and advocacy opportunities, working closely with all relevant UN-Women’s teams and other relevant parts of the UN System.
- Supervise and assess work in progress to ensure delivery of results according to performance standards, overall objectives and accountability framework.
- Provide advice and guidance to the UN Trust Fund in resource mobilization and advocacy activities in order to strengthen the capacity of the Fund to achieve and exceed its annual financial target.
- Promote teamwork to ensure harmonization, linkages, collaboration and synergy and ensure that staff members are provided sufficient information, guidance and support to perform and deliver results according to organizational, personal and professional standards of efficiency, accountability and integrity.
- Provide advice to the Chief of the UN Trust Fund on ways to increase the funding for grant-making.
2.Lead Resource Mobilization and Advocacy initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships with new donors and partners and provides relevant, effective and timely support to all current and new donors and partners.
- Manages all resource mobilization efforts of the UN Trust Fund
- Play a convener role, including convening and organizing global meetings of stakeholders.
- Supports and prepare high quality material for the Chief in his/her representation with UN Member States, the donor community and inter-agency fora and through press engagements.
- Maintain active relationships/partnerships with Member States, the UN System and agency partners, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, private sector, regional commissions, institutes and academia on the work and mandate of the UN Trust Fund to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and/or share ideas to enhance gender equality.
- Actively promote coordination and synergies with UN inter-agency groups and share lessons learned in collaboration with colleagues in the field and the relevant thematic areas of UN Women.
3.Lead Knowledge management and capacity building initiatives
- Lead the work on creation of products, packaged and positioned to attract and secure increased resources for the UN Trust Fund;
- Ensure the production and dissemination of high-quality advocacy and knowledge products of the funds, based on grantee findings, lessons learnt and evaluations.
- Maintain partnerships with UN system and agencies to keep abreast of/share ideas on best practices and lessons learned and to collaborate on the development of knowledge management products and tools.
- Promote the appropriate use of programming standards, quality assurance and control through advisory guidance and oversight.
- Provide advice and technical assistance to UN-Women regional and country offices and grantees to improve resource mobilization and advocacy efforts.
- Share knowledge and enhances organizational learning among the team members of the UN Trust Fund and other relevant divisions and field offices in UN Women through the development and use of all relevant on-line tools, templates, and guidelines to support resource mobilization initiatives and enhance donor relations.
4.Manage the Resource Mobilization team and ensure its effective functioning
- Provide managerial direction, guidance and leadership to staff and provide performance feedback and coaching to staff under supervision
- Manage the preparation of reports as required;
- Develop team work plan and budget; and oversee its implementation, including providing direction, guidance and technical support.
Key Performance Indicators
- Resource mobilization and advocacy strategies developed and implemented on time on scope on budget
- Quality of resource mobilization efforts (effectiveness and efficiency)
- Relationship with donors and stakeholders
- Timely and quality delivery of knowledge products in line with annual workplan
- Quality and timeliness of reports
- Staff performance
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively across different constituencies.
- Demonstrated capacity to perform effectively within a multicultural work environment, tact and ability to deal with confidential matters in a discreet and reliable manner.
- Ability to participate effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, to collaborate and cooperate with others.
- Strong inter-personal skills and excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent analytical skills of substantive as well as organizational issues.
- Capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time. Ability to set priorities; work under pressure with colleagues at all levels.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks in a fast-paced and pressured environment.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women's studies, or a related field.
- 7 years of experience in working in the field of gender equality and women's empowerment, including experience with civil society organizations, donor relations/resource mobilization with member states.
- Proven track-record in the successful mobilization of resources.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*