CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an Advocacy and Networks Officer to assist with its global advocacy activities and networking at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, dynamic and skilled team member to:
· Interpret and synthesize information about global trends related to civil society and international relations within CIVICUS’ mission, vision, values, strategic directions and stakeholder needs.
· Contribute to the implementation of CIVICUS’ advocacy priorities at the UN headquarters and assist in the formulation of CIVICUS’ external messaging.
· Contribute to network engagement activities with CIVICUS’ members and stakeholders in New York.
Who you are
You are a dynamic, communicator who is passionate about human rights and knowledgeable about civil society. You will ideally have experience with UN systems and specifically with UN agencies in New York. You have prior knowledge and experience of ways to advocate successfully to influence decisions by intergovernmental bodies. You will be adept at advocacy and at networking with various stakeholders. You will have a passion for the causes that CIVICUS stands for and more so, for those that we serve.
You understand global civil society and have knowledge of civil society trends. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace. You have the right to work in the United States of America. You should be willing to travel at least two times a year to our Johannesburg headquarters and occasionally to our Geneva office.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organizations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote excluded voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 175 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society. We’re a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
· We work for civil society, protecting and expanding `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
· We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
· We strengthen civil society by bringing various actors together to generate and share knowledge, to improve civil society working and to act collectively.
· We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact, we communicate, campaign and advocate.
· Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organizations and activists.
· Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
· Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
· Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE:
1. UN advocacy and networking
· Follow the UN headquarters agenda closely and analyze outcomes from relevant bodies as they relate to civil society;
· Develop strategies to enhance civil society engagement at the UN;
· Build relationships with civil society stakeholders, diplomatic community and intergovernmental organizations based in New York to advance civil society participation in decision making;
· Represent CIVICUS at various meetings and events in New York and elsewhere; and
· Develop oral and written statements, concept notes for side events, papers, speaking points etc.
2. Support function for CIVICUS staff and membership
· Interpret UN outcomes relevant to civil society and communicate these to CIVICUS teams;
· Advise various CIVICUS clusters and specialists on UN/New York related engagements;
· Enable CIVICUS members and other civil society stakeholders to participate in UN activities and organize events in New York;
· Produce reports, papers, policy briefs and other written materials for CIVICUS; and
· Maintain a close working relationship with CIVICUS’ headquarters in Johannesburg and with the Geneva office.
3. Representing CIVICUS in New York
· Attend relevant meetings both inside and outside the UN in New York to represent CIVICUS and share information from meetings with CIVICUS’ membership;
· Support the head of CIVICUS’ New York office in stakeholder engagement and relationship building; and
· Represent CIVICUS at various meetings and workshops, and communicate information about various CIVICUS projects and research findings in New York.
Start date: 1 January 2018
Salary: USD 50,000-55,000
· Post graduate degree in international relations, law, politics, or relevant social sciences from a reputable university. In cases of exceptional experience, this criterion can be waived.
· At least five years experience in an international policy making or advocacy environment
· Demonstrable experience of engaging with diverse society actors and good networks within civil society
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Good understanding of international relations and development policy making
· Good understanding of the civil society landscape and global politics
· Good knowledge of UN systems and processes, especially those pertaining to human rights, including committees and special procedures
· Ability to synthesize and process information related to development and political issues.
· Computer literate: MS Office
· Ability to understand and implement organizational strategies
· Ability to network with high level diplomats and officials from intergovernmental institutions
· Good interpersonal skills
· Good presentation skills
· Good written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Good communication skills
· Commitment to Human Rights values.
To apply, please submit :
· A motivational letter;
· A detailed CV;
· Contact details of three current references to [email protected]
Deadline for submission of applications: 15 November 2017
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*