I. UN Representative
- Represent GFDD at the United Nations (UN) in promoting and advancing issues that support the sustainable development of the Dominican Republic in line with the development agenda of the UN;
- Help maintain the accredited status of the foundation to the following UN bodies; Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the Department of Public Information (DPI), UNESCO, the UN Environment Programme and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- Regularly participate in the public sessions of inter-governmental meetings and conferences reporting on policy outcomes as they affect the Dominican Republic;
- Support the submission of oral/written statements during official discussions and contribute to the reports and position papers of UN agencies;
- Attend monthly meetings of NGO networks that the foundation is a member of and support potential collaborations on UN events;
- Reach out to the United Nations, and associated agencies, as well as the Dominican and wider community for possible partnerships and marketing opportunities, including researching & preparing material and organizing GFDD side events.
II. Panel, workshop and conference coordinator
- Responsible for organizing a range of GFDD UN events, researching speakers, securing venues, preparing statements, overseeing guest lists and generally coordinating each event.
- Responsible for coordinating conferences, panels and discussion session on diverse environmental topics. Responsibilities include writing of concept paper, setting of program agenda and objectives, inviting and securing speakers, and coordinating travel logistics.
- Represent GFDD in national and international conferences.
- Plan and organize community based workshops.
III. Content development
- Responsible for writing and submitting press releases related to GFDD’s UN and Fellows Programs.
- Ensure that all press releases are supported with pictures, bibliography, and links within the website and/or other references provided by the program manager.
- Contribute to ensuring the relevancy, accuracy and consistency of all web based content, especially all translated documents before uploading them in to the website.
- Develop and communicate findings of environmental studies or proposals to promote conservation and improve stewardship to individuals in industry, government of the public.
- Review research literature to maintain knowledge on topics related to economics, policy, green energy, climate change, ocean conservation, sustainable productions and consumption in the DR.
- Draft policy reports analyzing international policy matters that are relevant to the Dominican Republic and are connected to sustainable development or environmental protection.
- Draft monthly UN insight briefings for GFDD President, Dr. Leonel Fernández, and the rest of GFDD international affairs staff: update them on recent/upcoming UN meetings, UN events organized/attended by GFDD, strategic networking carried out at the UN, UN appointments and resolutions reached and their impact on GFDD’s mission.
IV. Participant in GFDD Global Roundtable Discussions
- Support GFDD staff in inviting potential guests of the Global Roundtable discussions, including UN ambassadors, OAS ambassadors, UN agency director, Directors of NGOs/Thinktanks, etc…
- Responsible for assisting in hosting UN Ambassadors, researching statistics on visiting countries, developing questions related to the topic in question and being present during the filming of the Global Roundtable.
V. Fellows Program
- Respond to inquiries from prospective research fellows and update database of CVs and research proposals;
- Support GFDD staff with vetting and selection of candidates and coordinate the response to selected candidates;
- Support GFDD staff in booking accommodation and transport arrangements, and identifying potential supervisors tailored to the research area of each Fellow in the Dominican Republic;
- Provide ongoing support to research fellows by acting as the liaison person in the GFDD NY office for the Fellows Program (i.e. helping to solve any logistical issues that may arise during the research period);
- Post-research phase - Oversee the drafting process of each Fellow’s study from first draft to publication:
o Set an agreed time line with the Fellow from delivery of the first draft to publication and launch of the study;
o Proof read the first draft (checking for grammar errors, style errors, referencing errors and any structural issues that would fail to meet the standards required for a foundation publication);
o Send for review of the first draft by supervisors;
o Ensure comments/suggestions are implemented by the Fellow in final draft;
o Liaise with translator to ensure study is translated and available in Spanish and English;
o Proof read both versions;
o Liaise with foundation directors to ensure they have proof read the final versions,
o Support the design process of the study
o Support the publication of the English and Spanish versions of the study in line with GFDD directors’ instructions
o Coordinate publication launch events in Dominican Republic and the USA.
VI. Social Media and Database
- Keep weekly DREFF blog updated on environmental issues connected to the DR (i.e. sustainable development, climate change, marine conservation, etc…).
- Keep weekly GRT blog updated on international affairs connected to the DR (i.e. international trade, UN climate negotiations, international development, gender equality, financing for development, etc…)
- Maintain UN Observance Days Calendar and follow up with blog posts and Facebook posts.
- Invite guest bloggers to contribute to both blog sites through GFDD event follow up and networking.
VII. Outreach: Establish Contacts, Develop Partnership Projects and Conduct Outreach to NGOs, Universities and the United Nations
- Support the development of partnerships with key public/ private agencies/organizations and universities on projects related to the UN agenda and mission of GFDD.
- Liaise with government delegates and UN Mission representatives at UN to help identify and set up joint areas of work.
VIII. DR Environmental Film Festival – September of each year
- Assist in content development for DREFF Film Guide, Website and Magazine.
- Responsible for coordinating panel discussions after film screenings, including developing panel themes, inviting and securing speakers, and coordinating travel and guest agendas.
- Aid in travel and tour logistics, securing film rights and producing panels on the ground during the festival.
- Aid in organizing side events with international speakers and guests
The position is available starting immediately. Interested candidates should submit:
• Cover letter
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*