PSI is seeking a Project Manager to manage a three-year exploration period that will focus on identifying how PSI can grow the market for a range of reproductive and other health solutions and exploring the optimal business model to create a sustainable enterprise in the region.
You will be responsible for the overall management of this initiative, working in collaboration with East Africa’s Regional and Country teams and PSI’s Global Social Enterprise and Marketing Departments. Specifically:
- Oversight to comprehensive market landscaping analysis for a selection of product categories to identify the potential role for an enterprise approach to grow the market and increase access amongst priority target groups leveraging PSI tools and best practice;
- Manage a research agency to conduct consumer research to gain deeper insight into current behaviors (including barriers and motivators, journey mapping) related to the product categories;
- Based on all the market and consumer learning, develop a comprehensive portfolio strategy that will grow the market through increasing access to the enterprise’s affordable, high quality products;
- Explore the optimal business model (including Sales & Distribution network and management structure) to assess feasibility of creating a financially sustainable entity – demonstrated through the development of a multi-year financial projection;
- Lead the roll-out of global and regional brands in key countries, navigating registration processes and looking for opportunities to maximize procurement efficiencies across the region;
- Support the Social Franchising social enterprise initiative in the East Africa region, exploring potential synergies and efficiencies.
- Preference MBA or Master’s in relevant fields, MPH, International Relations etc.;
- 5 years of relevant experience;
- Excellence in marketing competencies - market analysis, consumer insight research, portfolio management;
- Strong appreciation of core commercial business principles and marketing financial discipline. Experience building and managing a P&L;
- Excellent project management skills – ability to manage multiple project workstreams, while maintaining oversight to the bigger strategic picture;
- Experience in managing consultants and agencies – ensuring deliverables are completed on time and in full;
- Product launch or start-up experience and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Experience in low and middle-income countries and with the non-profit sector a plus;
- Excellent analysis and communications skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; a self-starter;
- Ability to develop strong relations with PSI Regional team, Country representatives and other organizational senior leader;
- Willingness to travel up to 50% of time within the East Africa region (and occasional trips to PSI HQ);
- Fluency in English required.
What would get us excited?
- The “Street Cred”. You have significant, successful experience in business and/or marketing-related fields. You have a strong sense of what it takes to develop a successful enterprise, but also understand that it takes a certain mindset to balance responsible market growth and reaching under-served consumers with an eye to sustainable business operations.
- Fire in the belly. You bring energy and passion in what you do.
- Team player. You ‘play well’ with others and enjoy seeing the impact of our work as a team.
- Details. Details. Details. You pay attention to them and focus on quality and consistency.
- Developing Markets. You have experience working or doing business in developing markets where getting things done requires ingenuity, patience, and great problem-solving skills. Experience in East Africa highly preferred.
- Curious and Flexible. You’re an information sponge and understand what worked yesterday won’t necessarily work today (or tomorrow), that each context is different. You have an ability to adapt quickly to these changing environments.
- Desire to Make the World a Better Place. You have a passion to create change in the world and believe in providing better health solutions to the poor. You understand that commercial enterprise principles can be effective in increasing health impact in a sustainable way.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*