The Thomson Reuters Foundation stands for free, independent journalism, human rights, women’s empowerment, and the rule of law. We expose corruption worldwide and play a leading role in the global fight against human trafficking. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world, including free legal assistance, journalism and media training, coverage of the world’s under-reported stories, and the Trust Conference. We have offices in 14 countries. We speak 35 languages. We work in partnership with journalists, law firms, social enterprises, NGOs and human rights leaders to foster socio-economic progress and strengthen the rule of law around the world.
The Foundation is recruiting a Programme Officer – Latin America, TrustLaw. The position would be based in the City Buenos Aires and working with our Legal Manager, Latin America, would provide support to TrustLaw’s activities across Latin America.
TrustLaw is the Thomson Reuters Foundation’s global pro bono legal program. Our mission is to spread the practice of pro bono worldwide to drive social change. We help high-impact NGOs and social enterprises to grow, streamline their operations and navigate complex laws and regulations by connecting them with free legal assistance from the best law firms around the world. We also deliver groundbreaking legal research on key social and policy issues that our members use to support their advocacy and law reform efforts. Launched in 2010, TrustLaw has grown to include over 4,000 members in 175 countries, including over 750 law firms and in-house legal teams and over 3,500 NGO and social enterprise members.
Responsibilities will include
- Recruiting, vetting, managing and engaging NGO, social enterprise, and legal team members of TrustLaw’s network through strong one-to-one relationship management to ensure TrustLaw regional quality and growth metrics are met.
- Supporting multiple cross-border research and policy advisory programmes that address the most critical needs facing our NGO and social enterprise members.
- Handling of pro bono requests from our community of NGOs and social entrepreneurs, from the scoping of the pro bono projects, connecting the client with lawyers and follow up with the parties involved.
- Devising and implementing a regional strategy to expand TrustLaw membership, ensuring we serve the best NGOs and social enterprises, as well as the strongest law firms and corporate in-house legal teams.
- Contributing to the TrustLaw global annual strategy.
- Seeking out and developing fruitful relationships with potential partners and members to further the mission of TrustLaw.
- Maintaining a high profile in the region by representing TrustLaw and the Thomson Reuters Foundation by speaking publicly on our work at panels, conferences, or other speaking engagements.
- Creating and executing a robust communications strategy that includes member events and promotion of TrustLaw publications.
- A qualified lawyer and exceptional self-starter with 2+ years of work experience and a passion for social change.
- Top-performing undergraduate background in the field of law, policy, development or social change.
- Proven organisational and project management ability and experience of managing competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Experience (paid or unpaid) in policy / social / not for profit sector.
- Experience in legal pro bono, access to justice or using the law as a tool for social change.
- An understanding of the challenges and opportunities that NGOs and social enterprises face around the world.
- An exceptional communicator and writer with public speaking experience.
- Ambition, dynamism and creativity.
- Experience in Salesforce would be favourable.
- Fluent in English. Fluency in Portuguese would also be highly desirable.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Argentina.
Deadline for applications: 15 December 2017. To apply for this position, send your CV and covering letter describing how you meet the specifications for this role and what you bring to it with subject line “Latin America Programme Officer”
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*