Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Senior Communications Manager leads the development of TI's media engagement and public relations strategy and provides expert leadership and strategic direction to create greater online visibility and presence. S/he has a deep and up-to-date understanding of the latest developments and opportunities in NGO communications. S/he ensures strong outreach through globally relevant communications channels and to stakeholders with an emphasis on relationship building.
The post-holder will provide leadership and mentoring to a small communications team in Berlin, in which collaborative work and the ability to pitch in on a range of different areas is vital. The team reacts to opportunities in the news cycle, creates engaging written and multimedia content and promotes TI’s longer-term products and projects. It also assists and protects our activists in the movement while supporting our advocacy and strengthening our online presence and global brand. The Senior Communications Manager will help embed communications across the organisation, advising on the best way to coherently communicate about TI’s diverse work areas. This would include working with TI leadership and colleagues across the organisation to create/align communications strategy and planning, message and content development. This position is being made available at a time when TI is deepening its online engagement using such tools as its website, social media channels, newsletters and videos so expertise in this area is key.
- Drive the design of TI’s online presence and media/advocacy activities to ensure that they clearly and accurately promote and disseminate the organisation’s global and regional/programmatic work within the framework of the TI Strategy 2020 and fundraising objectives.
- Drive expert use of a variety of communications technologies, including online communications, information technology, social media, website architecture and administration, web programming, and graphic design.
- Manage and produce editorial content and participate in TI editorial committees by reviewing major TI publications and providing strategic guidance for launches of publications.
- Identify opportunities to convey TI’s brand and messages to new and existing audiences.
- Protect the TI brand from reputational risks associated with the tone, messaging, design standards and overall quality of print and online publications and communications.
- Use communications to ensure the safety of colleagues in the TI movement in at-risk situations.
- Manage communications projects – digital and offline - to ensure delivery on time, on budget and to specified quality.
- Use data and analytics to constantly improve the performance of TI’s online communications across all platforms.
- Streamline the systems and processes that underpin effective media relations.
- University degree in communications, political science, literature, journalism, international affairs or other relevant fields, or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in communications, with particular experience in media engagement, public relations, online platforms and content strategy in an international or media organisation
- Demonstrated experience in integrating online/social media strategy with advocacy planning
- Knowledge and experience of developing advocacy and public campaigns
- Experience managing crisis communications and responding rapidly to opportunities and threats in the news cycle and within/to a global movement or equivalent
- Excellent communications skills in English (to native speaker standard) required; additional languages, in particular French and/or Spanish, an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills essential
- Strong organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative and creativity
- High level of intercultural competence, diplomacy and political sensitivity
- Knowledge of and considerable interest in corruption, governance and development issues and international affairs
Other information about the post and the location:
- Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
- Working hours: 40 hours a week. Transparency International works across different time zones and evening or weekend work will be required at times. No overtime is payable, however, Transparency International supports flexible working, so the pattern of hours may vary according to operational and personal needs. Under certain circumstances Time Off in Lieu is granted.
Please send BY EMAIL ONLY a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: Karem Armstrong at [email protected]
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “TI Senior Comms Mgr” in the email subject line. Also, please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org