HIAS seeks a Policy Officer to engage in advocacy, research and communications work in HIAS’ Policy and Advocacy department, helping to advance HIAS’ legislative and policy priorities. S/he works with the Policy and Advocacy staff to promote a strong refugee resettlement program, robust international refugee assistance, and fair and humane asylum policies.
- Conducts research, analysis, and writes about refugee and asylum policy and programs.
- Creates and maintains advocacy contact and target lists of government officials, and congressional, United Nations, NGO staff, and others.
- Fosters relationships with other advocacy partners and congressional staff contacts.
- Represents HIAS at events, meetings, and conferences.
- Writes blogs, issue briefs, press releases, testimonies, policy resolutions, presentations, reports, and other materials.
- Prepares regular updates about HIAS’ Advocacy work for both internal and external audiences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field.
- Extensive background in refugee or immigration policy required; at least 2-3 years of professional experience in policy/ advocacy required.
- Experience with communications, grassroots advocacy, and/ or Jewish organizations highly desired.
- Must be willing to split time between the Washington D.C. and Silver Spring offices.
- Computer literacy in internet research, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications, webinar technology, video editing, and Microsoft Office applications preferred; proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Excellent multitasking, time management and problem-solving skills; must be able to work in teams and independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org