Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Non Food Items and Emergency Shelter (NFI&ES) Project Manager plans, develops, monitors and evaluates the assigned project(s). This involves assessing NFI&ES needs, designing projects, coordination and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in shelter delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training shelter staff.
The NFI&ES project will be responsible for the distribution of NFIs in all 10 states, independently or in support of other partners. Medair acts as NFI state focal point for NFIs in Upper Nile State and in Central Equatoria State and is responsible for coordination and distributions in that state.
Key Activity Areas
NFI Project Management
- Manage the projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame;
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local NFI&ES staff;
- Develop and implement an effective NFI&ES strategy. Set clear objectives and indicators;
- Continuously monitor and supervise activities, overseeing the design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data;
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair and donor formats;
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the NFI&ES Managers, including day-to-day management, development, training, etc.;
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and give the opportunity for feedback;
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff to develop ownership and full responsibility;
- Assess the training needs of NFI&ES staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the NFI&ES budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and Medair standards.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the team, Medair in-country and HQ and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation;
- Participate in NFI&ES coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the NFI&ES staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment;
- Liaise, as necessary, with the NFI&ES, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed;
- Ensure NFI&ES projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts;
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement;
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in Development or Management;
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field;
- Minimum 1 year experience in management in international relief work;
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Good communicator;
- Experience in training/mentoring/coaching staff. Problem solving ability;
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Able to take the initiative in project decisions. Able to enforce procedures;
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP;
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to set clear objectives for staff;
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership;
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org