Under the guidance of the Director of the Civil Society Division, and the supervision of the Deputy, the Partnership and Advocacy Specialist is responsible for strengthening civil society contributions to the realization and implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action, the Sustainable Development Goals Agenda, normative and intergovernmental processes and mechanisms, and their outcomes. The staff member will support partnership and alliance initiatives including by engaging new constituencies such as women’s trade unions, men and boys networks, faith-based institutions and organizations, think tanks and others working on diverse social justice issues at the global, regional and country level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the development and implementation of partnership and advocacy initiatives:
- Develop advocacy strategies with new CSO constituencies, such as women’s trade unions, men and boys’ networks, faith-based organizations, think-thanks, youth led organisations;
- Provide substantive inputs to initiatives and activities related to the Committee on the Status of Women (CSW) and other intergovernmental processes to strengthen civil society contribution to normative processes and their outcomes;
- Coordinate and organize meetings, events, workshops or panels;
- Write briefing notes, technical reports, presentations as necessary;
- Manage project initiatives with civil society organisations.
Provide technical support to civil society related to normative processes:
- Provide substantive support to civil society contributions on normative processes and their outcomes, including those related to migration, humanitarian response, and women, peace and security;
- Provide substantive support to expanding and mobilizing stakeholder engagement for the delivery of the 2030 Agenda, including at country level;
- Support the Section’s work to strengthen the linkages between the global, regional and national women’s movements and normative processes.
Provide technical support to the development and maintenance of regional civil society advocacy and partnership initiatives:
- Provide technical support to field offices on the Civil Society Advisory Groups and other issues;
- Provide technical advice to Regional offices related to civil society advocacy and partnerships.
Develop partnerships with civil society and donors and represent UN Women:
- Build and maintain relationships with civil society networks globally;
- Liaise and consult with UN Women Thematic Advisors, Geographic Sections and field-level Offices, as well as leading practitioners and counterparts from civil society and UN sister agencies;
- Provide technical inputs to resource mobilization initiatives, write project proposals and prepare donor reports as required;
- Represent UN Women as required.
Lead knowledge management and capacity development initiatives:
- Lead the development of information materials and ensure dissemination;
- Review evaluations and technical reports to document lessons learned and recommendations for knowledge sharing in the area of violence against women.
Provide any other support as required by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely development of quality advocacy strategies as per workplan and scope;
- Timely provision of quality inputs to CSW initiatives as per the workplan and scope;
- Timely organization of meetings, events and other activities as per workplan;
- Timely technical support to civil society contributions;
- Development of partnerships with civil society networks;
- Knowledge materials developed and disseminated.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong partnership development skills;
- Knowledge of the UN context and the role of the UN and its agencies, funds and programmes, including in the area of gender equality and human rights, highly desirable;
- Strong networking, team-building, organizational, communication, public speaking and inter-personal skills;
- Excellent writing and editorial skills in English;
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, civil society, women's groups, UN entities and donors;
- Ability to manage for results, by translating strategy into achievable plans, with established priorities and ability to monitor and introduce adjustments. Self-starter and self-resourcefulness major assets;
- Ability to effectively represent UN Women in external fora, including policy-making and United Nations inter-agency initiatives;
- Strong understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Ability to contribute to team work.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree or equivalent in international affairs, human rights, gender/women's studies, communications, and/or development;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant national/international working experience in international development;
- Management experience in a global multicultural setting;
- Experience in project approvals, management and monitoring an asset;
- Experience in inter-agency/multi-actor collaboration highly desirable;
- Experience in the United Nations, a governmental, other multilateral or civil society organization highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is highly desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org