Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Communications Strategist, based in Washington, D.C., works with National Communications Strategists and the Policy & Legislative Team (PAL) to develop media and campaign strategy for Earthjustice policy work. This person will also lead on communications and internal coordination of the Access to Justice (A2J) campaign*, working with staff from the PAL and litigation departments. The Communications Strategist will pitch stories to national and regional papers, Capitol Hill journalists, magazines and long-form media outlets, TV and radio stations, and online outlets. This person would identify media opportunities and pursue them, while building relationships with Capitol Hill journalists who regularly cover the environmental and/or justice issues.
the Communications Strategist would also help with breaking news and draft press releases on a range of Earthjustice issues, look for opportunities to establish PAL and A2J staff as experts on their issues. This includes writing and placing op-eds, blogs, and letters to the editor on behalf of Earthjustice leaders and clients/partners. This position will participate in coalition efforts, coordinating with PAL, Communications, and external partners to execute on major policy campaigns. This person also coordinates with the Associate Director of Program Communications and the Brand Communications team to develop email action alerts, social media content, factsheets, and digital storytelling content and narratives that advance our brand. He or she is responsible for hiring and overseeing contractors and managing budgets.
*The Access to Justice Campaign focuses on protecting the public’s right to use the courts to defend environmental safeguards, civil liberties, and consumer protections.
Media Strategy and Pitching (60%)
Campaign Management & Content Development (40%)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science preferred.
• Four to five years of experience in reporting or media relations.
• Media experience with environment, social justice issues and/or media experience for a Member of Congress preferred.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Experience pitching media; prior experience working with the Capitol Hill press corps preferred; strong relationships with journalists.
• Experience conducting rapid response media efforts; ability to monitor political developments and quickly shift strategies.
• Politically savvy; knowledge and experience with Congressional processes; prior experience with legal processes a plus.
• Social media experience and skills, especially Twitter.
• Well organized and able to juggle and prioritize many competing demands.
• Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
• Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
• A team player that enjoys a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Using the Jobvite application tool, please submit:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org