Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) is looking for a campaigner for our work on Corporate Accountability, starting September 1st 2018, based in the FoEE office in Brussels.
Friends of the Earth Europe campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. It unites 31 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of the world’s largest grassroots environmental network, Friends of the Earth International. Please see www.foeeurope.org for more information.
The campaigner will work within the Economic Justice (EJ) program. Our work on Corporate Accountability is focused on establishing a legally binding framework to hold companies involved in human rights, environmental and other abuses accountable and liable for these impacts and to improve victims’ access to justice. We are campaigning for a UN Treaty on Business and Human Rights and for corporate accountability legislation at EU and member state level. The campaigner will also work with FoE groups outside Europe to support Environmental Human Rights Defenders and victims of corporate crimes.
The campaigner will work closely together with colleagues in the EJ program and with campaigners in other programs within FoEE. The campaign involves FoEE member groups and it works closely with key NGO allies in Brussels and in different EU member states.
For this position we are looking for a highly organised, experienced, creative, energetic and motivated individual. The campaigner will report to and be task managed by the coordinator of the Economic Justice team.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Develop FoEEs policies, expertise and strategies on Corporate Accountability and supporting Environmental Human Rights Defenders (EHRDs), with relevant colleagues working on the same issues;
- Develop ideas, write and/or manage reports, studies and other communication materials highlighting the need for legally binding measures to protect victims of corporate abuse and EHRDs and concrete proposals for such measures;
- Engage in advocacy at EU, UN and, where appropriate, member state level;
- Engage in concrete activities (advocacy, mobilising pressure on companies, media work, facilitating speaking events) in support of EHRDs, coordinating with colleagues from other teams within FoEE, and at international level;
- Develop and implement the Corporate Accountability campaign activities, in close cooperation with other members of the campaign;
- Coordinate our activities and strategies with key allies and FoEE member groups;
- Carry out planning, budgeting, fundraising;
- Represent FoEE externally, including to the media;
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, events and policy developments;
- Report to and advise the coordinator of the Economic Justice team on the campaign;
- Contribute to development of strategy and tactics of the Economic Justice program.
- Three to five years’ experience in working with an NGO at EU or international level, including advocacy work and corporate campaigning;
- Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising, research, planning, lobbying);
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds: decision makers at high- and working-level, MEPs, NGOs, FoEE member groups, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media, etc.;
- Experience in working in support of CSOs and representatives of local communities affected by corporate abuses, including taking leadership from community representatives;
- Experience in project management including proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Good understanding of problems related to corporate accountability and EHRDs;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Spanish language is valuable;
- Commitment to FoEE’s vision, mission and values;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues;
- Creativity: able to think out of the box and find new ways to campaign;
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
Salary between Euro 2,792 and 3,245 gross, depending on experience, plus benefits (13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme and hospitalisation insurance). Conditions are according to Belgian legislation, including the legal ability to live and work in Belgium. We offer a full time position, starting with a 1 year contract, to be extended in case of good performance and availability of funding.
FoEE offers a highly motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally friendly NGO building.
Send your motivation letter, including a CV, latest June 24 2018.
Only candidates who will be invited for interviews will be notified. Interviews are scheduled for the week of July 2-6.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org