ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organisation with over nine million members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency and advocate for increased domestic investments in development so that these resources can be effectively deployed. With HQ in Washington, DC, we operate from North America, Europe and Africa.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out - organising, mobilising, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
We are looking for an experienced development professional to join our team in Brussels as our Policy and Advocacy Manager. The Policy and Advocacy Manager will provide written policy analysis and updates on key European development policy issues. This role will also support the implementation of our advocacy strategy with EU institutions and in Member States where ONE does not have an office, working closely with government officials, NGOs, decision makers and opinion formers. The ideal candidate will possess excellent knowledge of global development policy issues and Africa, as well as demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the EU institutions’ role in development and the European political scene. They must be a great team player and self-starter with excellent communications skills and analytical capability.
The Policy and Advocacy Manager will be based in our Brussels office and will report to the Brussels Deputy Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Perform general research and policy analysis on ONE's policy priorities covering a range of development issues, including, but not limited to, ODA, the EU budget, financial transparency and the fight against corruption, global health, gender, food security and education;
- Support the Brussels Deputy Director and the EU and France Director with the implementation of ONE’s advocacy and lobbying strategy in the EU, engaging with EU-wide development policy networks and developing and maintaining relationships in that field, including with EU officials, politicians, MEPs, NGOs and think tanks;
- Prepare documents on specific development issues for a range of audiences, including articles for ONE’s website, blog posts and talking points and prepare briefing documents for ONE staff and Principals;
- Monitor and keep the Brussels and wider ONE team informed of news on EU development policy. Provide an EU perspective to ongoing global policy discussions, and ensure ONE’s global policy positions are relevant to European audiences. Work internally across teams to identify and leverage opportunities for policy change on these issues;
- Prepare ONE’s positions on key areas of the EU’s development policy and contribute to development of new and emerging policy areas within the Global Policy Team;
- Contribute to ONE’s policy reports, by providing EU-specific analysis, writing parts of the report and coordinating the production process for Brussels;
- Represent ONE in Brussels at meetings and conferences on relevant policy topics, as needed;
- Manage the Brussels policy team to deliver ONE’s advocacy and policy work with the European Institutions, working alongside the EU and France Director and the Deputy Director;
- Other tasks as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Education to at least Bachelor’s degree level, preferably in economics, law or a development-related field and eight years experience or; Master’s Level degree and five to eight years’ of directly related experience;
- Five to eight years work experience in a policy, advocacy, government or campaigns role, with at least three years working within the European Institutions or the EU political scene;
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills;
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience of presenting to senior staff and external audiences;
- Ability to synthesise policy documents, identifying relevant key points and facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audiences in a concise way;
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy;
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Another EU language is highly desirable;
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads;
- Well-organised with a proven ability to multi-task;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions;
- A commitment to ONE’s mission and policy priorities.
Fluent in spoken and written English, with another EU language highly desirable.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org