The Regional Office for RLC is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RLC also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RLC develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region. The post is located in the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Senior Policy Officer reports to the Assistant Director General, Regional Representative and maintains regular contact with FAO headquarters in Rome for functional guidance on matters relating to policy and governance support in the food and agricultural sectors.
Provides leadership, guidance and operational support for results-based policy assistance and governance work of decentralized offices in the Region, in relation to regional and sub-regional policy issues, and provides guidance to the work of policy officers posted at sub regional and country level in relation to their work on environment, climate change, bioenergy, landscape management, biodiversity and natural resources management.
Development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy assistance and governance work supporting member states at regional and country level: i) in alignment with the Organization’s Gender Policy, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework and its delivery mechanisms, and ii) in response to new policy assistance requests.
- Manages or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, and provides technical leadership in high-level policy analysis missions or projects, policy networks and/or international policy setting bodies;
- Leads the work carried out by technical or policy officers from HQ or out-posted staff in the Decentralized Offices in relation to policy and governance work under FAO's strategic framework;
- Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices, and policy dialogue, from a gender perspective in support of enhanced policies and governance for food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and food systems;
- Interacts with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning agriculture, food, and nutrition security and sustainable development;
- Analyzes regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirements;
- Designs, implements and monitors regional and sub-regional policy work programmes including gender programming and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice;
- and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials, on-line tools and information kits;
- Represents the Organization at international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences.
- Leads the region's work on Sustainable use of natural resources, adaptation to climate change and disasters risk management (Regional Initiative 3);
- Manages the programme and provides technical and policy advice to FAO regional, sub-regional and country offices in the Latin America and the Caribbean on sustainable development, climate change, natural resources management, bioenergy, landscape management and environmental management and biodiversity related activities and services;
- Supports country-level actions guided by FAO's Country Programming Frameworks (CPFs), sub regional and regional priority frameworks, regional initiatives and higher-level strategic frameworks of the Organization in order to transform FAO's Knowledge products into country-level results and impacts;
- Coordinates the identification, development, mainstreaming and implementation of FAO regional initiatives and programmes/projects on environmental management, sustainable development and climate change, drawing on relevant corporate approaches and frameworks in liaison with relevant units in RLC, HQs and decentralized offices;
- Communicates FAO's policies, knowledge products, and key messages, on sustainable development, climate change, natural resources management, bioenergy, landscape management and environmental management and biodiversity related activities and services;
- Develops and leads the implementation of resource mobilization initiatives to enhance the work of FAO in the region related to sustainable development, climate change, natural resources management, bioenergy, landscape management and environmental management and biodiversity related activities and services.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in environmental sciences, sustainable development, climate change, natural resources management, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), political or social sciences, of related field;
- Ten years of experience in policy formulation, programming, advice and analysis relating to environmental management, climate change and sustainable development and monitoring and evaluation of national policies and programmes;
- Working knowledge of English and Spanish (level C).
- Results Focus;
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering;
- Partnering and Advocating;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement;
- Strategic Thinking.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in policy positions is essential;
- Understanding of complex policy processes;
- Relevance and extent of experience in policy analysis and advise, strategic management and programme and project formulation and implementation associated with environmental management, climate change and sustainable development;
- Relevance and extent of knowledge and experience in working with national governments, inter-governmental bodies, multi-disciplinary teams and UN agencies;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the Latin America and the Caribbean, knowledge of its major agroecosystems and regional positions on international environmental management, sustainable development and climate change conventions is considered a strong asset;
- Demonstrated capacity to mobilize resources and political will and to manage diverse, geographically dispersed, multidisciplinary teams to achieve quality results in a timely fashion in complex changing international environments;
- Knowledge of French is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of academic degree and in particular a PhD is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org