The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Communications Associate.
Overview of the Human Rights Foundation
HRF is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that promotes and protects human rights globally, with a focus on closed societies. Our work includes effective campaigns to free political prisoners, world-class events such as the Oslo Freedom Forum, and programs such as Flash Drives for Freedom that publicize human rights violators and directly support dissidents and human rights defenders at risk.
Overview of the position
The communications associate will possess the ability to prioritize projects and tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and monitor several projects simultaneously. The position requires superb organizational skills. The candidate must be highly detail-oriented with top-notch creative writing skills and an entrepreneurial spirit. The role will work across multiple teams including that development, design/marketing, events, and legal/policy. This position will report directly to the Director of Communications.
- Draft press releases, talking points, board memos, op-eds, and social media content that reflect HRF’s positions, projects, and achievements
- Research and secure regular placement for HRF opinions in popular television, radio, print, and web outlets
- Grow a network of journalists (local and international); Call and email reporters and editors to inform them about HRF’s work, pitch stories, and share activities
- Improve HRF’s media database and track media mentions
- Use email marketing programs to create and send e-letters, press releases, and event updates to our networks
- Draft, edit, and update HRF web content through the use of a CMS
- Help draft sales materials including annual reports, conference brochures, media packs, and event fliers
- A strong understanding of and affinity for HRF's mission and a passion for human rights, political freedom, and civil liberties
- A firm understanding of today’s media landscape and a knowledge of how news is produced in web, print, radio, television, and social media formats
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional attention to detail when working under deadlines with multiple and shifting priorities
- 2 years of experience in communications, journalism, corporate strategy, or public relations
- A personal network of journalists interested in politics and current events
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in international relations or similar field, journalism, or communications is preferred
- Fluency in Spanish, German, Norwegian, or Korean
- Experience with PR management software like Cision or Vocus
Please email [email protected] with your resume, cover letter, and completed questionnaire, using “Job Inquiry - Communications Associate” as the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org