WRI seeks a Communications Officer to develop and execute strategies that positively influence corporate sustainability practice and position WRI as a critical NGO partner to business.
As a Communications Officer, you will craft strong messages and use a range of communications channels to make WRI’s highly-reputable research understandable and actionable for the business community and the stakeholders that influence it. You will support service delivery to WRI’s top corporate partners by facilitating timely and helpful communications that are impactful. You will also build and protect WRI’s brand as an independent and trusted NGO.
The Communications Officer will sit within the Business Center working with business center programs and the corporate relations team and engage across all private sector-focused work at WRI in close collaboration with WRI’s global Communications department. To be successful, you must be a self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and have a track record in and passion for communications, excellent writing skills and turning big ideas into action. Candidates with experience in the corporate sector and on sustainability issues are strongly preferred.
- Develop and execute strategic communication plans to support and influence the private sector, working with program staff and leadership across the Institute to identify high-priority outreach opportunities and highlight WRI research, analysis, and experts in the media
- Establish WRI’s business center global thought leadership around business sustainability
- Implement plans to include media, social media, web presence, conference speaking engagements and events
- Write and edit a variety of internal and external materials, such as blog posts, press releases, op-eds, slide decks, newsletters, website content, and other compelling communications that serve to translate technical material and WRI capabilities for corporate audiences
- Design and execute a compelling communications program that provides value to Corporate Consultative Group members
- Provide sustainability communications expertise and insights to Corporate Consultative Group members
- Regularly track and evaluate metrics of success, and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or other related field (e.g.: communications, public relations, business, economics, or environmental studies)
- Three to five years of relevant, full-time professional experience working in public relations, journalism, or communications with salient link to private sector interests
- Proven ability to lead the planning, coordination, and execution of communications products, influence strategies, and audience targeting
- Experience with communications planning, publications development, marketing, social media, video/graphics and other specialized communications skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to produce materials focused on diverse external audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge, interest, or commitment to business sustainability or environmental issues
- Experience working with reporters or members of the media (and established media contacts) preferred
- International experience or prior work in a global organization preferred
- Management experience preferred
Skills & Qualifications
- Articulate, versatile, highly-skilled writer with professional writing experience (professional writing samples required); strong oral communications skills required
- Proven ability to lead the planning, coordination, and execution of communications products, influence strategies, and audience targeting.
- Experience using social media in a professional setting to influence audiences
- Experience getting stories and quotes placed in major media outlets
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism, or business preferred
- Strong visual communication skills, including knowledge of PowerPoint, Photoshop and similar, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners
- Highly motivated, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively about all elements of communications work
- A proven track record of searching for and implementing innovative approaches focused on achieving results or amplifying impact
- Strong commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- Written and spoken fluency in a second language, such as Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Chinese Mandarin, etc. desirable
- US work authorization required. WRI is unable to sponsor visas for this opportunity.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org