McGee Director of the Dean Rusk International Studies Program
Davidson (near Charlotte), North Carolina
Mid Career / Advanced
The Dean Rusk Program and the McGee Director are responsible for cultivating in students the desire and ability to apprehend and experience our world from many points of view. We are seeking someone who can draw together individuals and groups on campus and connect Davidson students, faculty, and staff with individuals, opportunities, organizations, and experiences around the world.
Application deadline is February 1. Start date is July 1, 2019.
Responsibilities of the McGee Director
- Administering the Dean Rusk Program in collaboration with the faculty's International Education Committee and under the supervision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of Faculty
- Collaborating with students, faculty, and staff to develop on-campus programming that responds to developments in the global arena, enhances courses and curricula, and promotes campus-wide familiarity with diverse cultures
- Reinforcing and expanding Davidson's international visibility and political and social capital in Washington, D.C. and abroad, including by cultivating contacts at the local (Charlotte, NC area), state, national and international levels, especially those that may yield new opportunities for students to study, work, travel, and explore overseas
- Coordinating the distribution of over $250,000 in funding for international experiences for students and faculty, including publicizing these funding opportunities to the campus community and cultivating a wide and diverse pool of applicants
- Advising and mentoring students to help them develop proposals for international experiences as well as post-graduate opportunities including careers, graduate study, and fellowships
- Working with others—college faculty and staff, interested alumni, contacts in Charlotte, Washington, D.C. and elsewhere—to identify internships for our students, and to cultivate relationships with external organizations and businesses that over time could produce a wider array of internships available to Davidson students
- Teaching one course per year in a relevant field
- Assisting the College Relations staff to raise funds to support the program. In particular, we seek a McGee Director who will partner with College Relations to cultivate new sources of dedicated funding for international internships.
- The McGee Director will also work with College Communications and the Office of Admission and Financial aid to publicize the program, including to prospective students.
For the McGee Director of the Dean Rusk Program, we are seeking a person with:
- At least 10 years' experience as an international affairs professional. Relevant fields include public service, non-governmental organizations and advocacy, economic/commercial/financial affairs, academics, cultural fields, and scientific and medical administration.
- An advanced degree (PhD, MA, JD) in a relevant field, or commensurate professional experience
- A genuine interest in undergraduate students' personal and professional development and a willingness to work with them to cultivate their international interests, including designing immersive personal experiences and individual research projects abroad, to be funded by Dean Rusk Program grants. A demonstrated track record in professional development and mentoring that could be applied to undergraduate students will support this qualification.
- An established network of global contacts
- Experience in budgeting and management. (The Dean Rusk Program programming budget is approximately $60,000.)
- Contacts and skills necessary to help identify potential sources of financial support for the program and assist College Relations staff in realizing those opportunities
- Proven capacity to interact and collaborate with diverse communities and to attract a diverse audience for Dean Rusk Program events
- Teaching experience is not required or expected, but is a plus. Enthusiasm for teaching and openness to professional development are a must.
Apply here: http://employment.davidson.edu/cw/en-us/job/492913/mcgee-director-of-the-dean-rusk-international-studies-program
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.