The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to protect workers’ rights and improve working conditions worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland. For more information see http://www.fairlabor.org.
The Economic Research Fellowship is an opportunity for a current undergraduate student to apply their academic experience in Economics to furthering the Fair Labor Association’s mission towards Fair Compensation. The fellow will work alongside the FLA’s Fair Compensation Team to research, organize, and communicate international benchmarks to FLA’s stakeholders. The fellowship is offered during the spring semester of 2019.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Fair Compensation Team in researching and organizing international wage benchmarks and methodologies such as living wages, industry averages, poverty lines, and minimum wages.
- Provide calculations of wage benchmarks by adjusting for economic factors such as exchange rates, inflation, and household size.
- Organize research in consistent and digestible language, to be easily understood by non-academic stakeholders.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
KEY SKILLS/ ABILITIES
- Commitment to the mission of the FLA to protect workers’ rights.
- Strong foundation in Macroeconomics and Statistics and topical understanding of issues in Economic Development and Financial Economics.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong time management skills and attention to detail.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, preferably with a exposure to courses in Statistics, International Affairs, Political Science, or other related field
- Knowledge of and/or experience in labor rights, human rights, and/or corporate social responsibility.
- Strong computer literacy skills, including MS Office Suite.
- Strong writing skills, including authoring academic research.
- Position based in the FLA DC Office
- Fellowship is paid via stipend.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org