Yamba Malawi uplifts vulnerable children by building businesses and by enabling investment in children’s care.
Founded in 2006, Yamba Malawi envisions a world where strong, self-reliant communities build brighter futures for children. Through holistic livelihood interventions centered on sustainable and scalable businesses, financial management, and coaching on childhood wellbeing, Yamba Malawi helps children and their communities move out of extreme poverty into livelihoods that empower them to improve food security, health, education, and their environments. Each year, Yamba Malawi’s livelihoods program touches the lives of over 100,000 children.
Yamba Malawi is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with offices in Lilongwe, Malawi and Brooklyn, New York.
Yamba Malawi is looking for a hard-working, passionate, and detail-oriented self-starter to join the Development Team, with a particular focus on individual fundraising, institutional support, and development systems.
The Development Manager will use outstanding interpersonal and communication skills to
maximize resources, work efficiently, and motivate their peers and team. As a key leader of the Yamba Malawi team, you’ll be responsible for stewarding existing supporters and building key relationships to curate a portfolio of engaged, inspired donors across individuals, family foundations, and institutions. You never shy away from a challenge, and can effortlessly move from high level strategic thinking to microanalysis of data and spreadsheets.
The Development Manager will report to the VP of Development and Communications, and will work closely with the entire Development Team. This role offers a unique opportunity to be a key influencer in contributing to our long-term growth strategy.
Development Strategy & Systems
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and VP of Development and Communications to create an annual fundraising plan.
- Perform analysis on development performance and donor trends, and draw out critical insights.
- Oversee the management of the Organization’s donor database including making decisions on how information is to be stored, added and updated and ensure data quality.
- Manage the Development Coordinator in the processing of monetary and in-kind contributions and manage the generation of donor receipts in a timely fashion.
- Share database strategy and upkeep responsibilities with the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Manage Classy fundraising platform, including event, campaign, and peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Drive fundraising best practices, including systems utilization, prospecting, donor reporting, analytics, and donor communications.
- Execute a multi-pronged, metrics-driven approach to donor prospecting and stewardship across giving levels.
- Implement and strategize around giving circles, including but not limited to monthly donors, our Young Professionals Committee, and pledge circle initiatives.
- Work closely with Yamba Malawi leadership on prospecting and stewardship; develop individual stewardship plans for key donors and influencers.
- Contribute to the management of honorees and host committees and overall fundraising for Yamba Malawi’s most important events.
- Work with the Development Team on special campaigns and multiple events including the annual gala.
- Manage timelines and deliverables for both active and prospect grants.
- Research grants and awards, and help foster relationships with grantmakers.
- Write grants and complete applications for awards, conferences, and speaking opportunities.
- Work closely with the Communications team to deliver high impact content and reporting that connects donors with our work, with the focus on increasing support.
- Analyze digital analytics around marketing campaigns to align marketing strategy with overall revenue generation strategy.
- Work closely with Yamba Malawi leadership on special projects, including brand collaborations.
- Four to six years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize multiple deadlines.
- A results-oriented nature and the ability to work well with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to foster a team-oriented environment.
- Experience with Salesforce, and online fundraising platforms strongly desired.
- Management experience preferred but not required.
- Must be passionate about the mission of the Organization.
- Persistence, patience, and a sense of urgency around each task and project.
- Familiarity with Southern Africa and issues of poverty preferred.
- Bachelors Degree required.
Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample (i.e. grant application) to [email protected] and include “Development Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, personal emails, or LinkedIn requests please.