Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. Winrock matches innovative approaches in agriculture, natural resources management, clean energy, and leadership development with the unique needs of its partners. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
The non-profit American Carbon Registry, (ACR), an enterprise of Winrock International, is dedicated to creating confidence in emerging environmental markets. The organization has over two decades of operational experience in the development of science-based GHG accounting methodologies, oversight of the registration and verification of GHG emissions reduction projects and the operation of transparent registry systems to track carbon claims. ACR systems stand behind transactions valued in excess of one billion dollars. ACR’s core knowledge, expertise, intellectual property and infrastructure are actively being applied in new and exciting ways, as the impact investment landscape evolves.
The Senior Program Officer, Climate Investment Standards will adapt and develop standards for ACRs emerging capital markets practice. The Senior Program Officer will be part of a small team working at the leading edge of the Environmental and Social Governance (ESG) field, in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment building first-in-kind standards, metrics, and registry tools which help align capital flows and climate outcomes.
- Draw upon ACR experience to evolve new products that can bring rigor and transparency to capital markets as they extend finance to green infrastructure
- Manage multidisciplinary teams for standards and/or quantification methodology adaptation and development including drafting project-level carbon impact standards and verification requirements, overseeing technical review with experts, managing the stakeholder consultation and scientific peer review process, and resolving technical and policy issues for publication
- Support business development within select market segments and asset classes
- Serve as a senior technical representative on key industry committees
- Represent ACR at meetings with clients, regulatory agencies and other organizations
- Engage and collaborate with key partners, including relevant market participants, business leaders, NGOs, industry associations and funders to directly support ACR’s success in new
Education: Master’s degree or PhD in Environment, Energy, Public Affairs, Data Analytics, Economics or other relevant field
- At least 15 years of business experience, including at least 10 years of direct experience working in carbon, sustainability, or environmental markets
- Expertise in evaluation, quantification and verification of carbon and other environmental benefit streams, and the integration of these quantified outcomes in project finance for buildings, transportation, energy or waste management projects
- Demonstrated experience with the application of auditing standards and procedures
- Understanding of the integration of ESG factors into financial statements, public disclosures and investor action
- Direct work experience in institutional financial services highly beneficial
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of strategic business planning and development
- Networks with states, municipalities, NGOs and institutions engaged in climate finance and climate policy
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire team members
- Strong technical GHG accounting ability
- Significant analytic capability
- Marketing, writing and communication skills
- Demonstration of high level of client service including thorough and timely responses to client and partner enquiries
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage work flow effectively, to manage teams and to track and meet deadlines for multiple activities and clients
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is preferred
Other: Must be available to travel domestically and internationally for short-term assignments.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity employer.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org