Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located within the Emerging and Conflict Related Issue Division (ECRI) of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA). The Program Management Officer will work on the Libya Socio-Economic Dialogue and will report directly to the Chief of Governance and Sate-Building section, under the overall supervision of the director of the Division.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists in leading to implement and evaluate the “Libya Socio-Economic dialogue” project;
- Liaise and coordinate with the relevant partner(s) and donor(s) in the implementation of the project;
- Ensure project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective Monitoring & Evaluation systems to reach desired impacts by regularly monitoring project deliverables and milestones; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; organize regular project coordination meetings with project team; ensures follow-up actions;
- Participates in the analysis of socio-economic and governance issues in Libya, with a focus on the root causes of the conflict, preventing conflict relapse, and the current states of Libya's social fabric, governance challenges and institutions;
- Develops indicators and methodologies for review and evaluation of specific topics relating to the Libyan economy, society and governance issues and institutions;
- Assists in directing various activities related to the implementation of the Libya projects working in collaboration with senior management, project leadership and project funders;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information related to the project gathered from diverse sources;
- Assists in managing relationships with project partners, including consultants, vendors and other local and international partners, ensuring that they deliver on agreed upon objectives within time frame and budget;
- Review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Generates survey/questionnaire initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues related to the implementation of the project and prepares conclusions;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive support, backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization;
- Assists in coordinating activities related to budget funding (project implementation and submissions, implementation progress reports and impact for management, donors and other stakeholders, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Assist with preparation of funding proposals;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of programme management, monitoring and evaluation, as well as knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to development in the Arab Region. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, development, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in development, project or programme management, administration or related area. A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in the MENA region is desirable. Relevant work experience in Libya is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. For this post, fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English are required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org