Duties and Responsibilities
Lead initiatives related to Forging Strategic Partnerships with civil society organizations:
- Develop and strengthen partnerships for advocacy with women’s movement, gender equality advocates and social justice actors – globally, regionally and nationally, for Beijing+25 and beyond;
- Lead the facilitation of Member States - CSO collaboration through consultation fora, including through the steering committee of the Global Forum for Gender Equality, and thereafter;
- Strengthen UN Women’s partnerships to engender the broader civil society organizations beyond the women’s movement, including faith-based actors, youth-leaders, LGBTI activists and men and boys engaging in gender equality, disability rights groups, indigenous groups, refugees and migrants, influencer groups, among others;
- Identify and develop advocacy alliances and partnerships – including with governments, intergovernmental organizations, civil society, academic institutions, think tanks, opinion shapers – to advance UN Women’s mandate and to heighten its visibility, using the Beijing+25 lens;
- Monitor the status of partnerships through periodic strategic assessments that help ensure UN Women remains ahead of the curve on current discussions on gender equality, and maintains its status as the global lead on achieving gender equality.
Facilitate the coordination and implementation of CSO participation in the Beijing+25 review processes and beyond, and intergovernmental processes including CSW:
- Facilitate active, substantive participation of civil society in the Beijing+25 regional review processes, the Global Forum for Gender Equality as well as the CSW annual sessions and in other intergovernmental processes e.g. Human Rights Council, ensuring a strengthened and coordinated approach on multi-stakeholder engagement;
- Coordinate partnerships between a range of multi-stakeholders including civil society and governments to ensure a robust and inclusive process that influences a progressive agenda within the civil society as well as inter-governmental processes;
- Ensure that global inter-governmental processes are shaped by multi-stakeholder engagements at the national and regional level as well, thereby supporting a model that facilitates the principle of leaving no one behind in these processes; this requires leading coordination with the regional and country offices and civil society partners in line with the Beijing Platform for Action.
Provide substantive contribution to strategic and thematic discussions at UN Women:
- Provide substantive contribution to thematic discussions in the organization, including through the analysis of the Beijing+25 national, regional and global reports and beyond;
- Lead internal strategic and thematic discussions as requested;
- Coordinate the Division’s strategic collaboration with other parts of UN Women, including substantive offices, field offices, and funds on the Beijing+25 process and its follow through;
- Provide substantive input to and develop UN Women reports and evaluations, briefing notes, talking points as requested.
Provide representational support:
- Represent the Civil Society Division externally including at conferences, panel discussions, presentations, meetings, media interviews, lectures and trainings, etc.;
- Represent the Civil Society Division internally including in working groups, meetings, presentations, workshops and trainings, etc.
Provide substantive support to knowledge management and sharing:
- Actively participate in knowledge management initiatives in the Civil Society Division;
- Ensure wide dissemination of knowledge products and information in which Civil Society Division is involved, internally and externally.
Provide people and office management support:
- Provide an implementation vision and guidance to team members on the achievement of the divisional work-plan and its link to the Beijing+25 process as well as the Organisation’s Strategic Plan;
- Lead the UN Women Secretariat for the Global Forum for Gender equality and serve as liaison with the Management Group and the Multi-Stakeholder Advisory Group;
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the team and coordinate team members and team activities;
- Supervise drafting of briefing notes and talking points;
- Oversee team member work plan development and timely completion of performance plans and assessments. Ensure regular guidance and coaching as needed;
- Oversee the Division’s programme performance and budget documentation;
- Manage the Division’s projects and support team members’ learning activities and professional development.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Strong partnerships developed with civil society organizations;
- High level events and campaigns such as Beijing +25 Platform facilitated;
- Active contributions by civil society in high level UN Women events enabled;
- High quality reports, talking points and briefing notes;
- High quality knowledge products developed and disseminated;
- UN Women is well represented in meetings;
- Annual Workplan of division implemented on time on budget on scope.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge of the Intergovernmental process in particular as related to gender equality issues and the work the UN in gender equality issues;
- Excellent Knowledge of civil society and in particular the women’s movement networks and organization (global and regional);
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment policy issues;
- Excellent drafting, editing and oral presentation skills;
- Strong Planning and organizing skills;
- Strong supervisory skills;
- Strong technological awareness;
- Ability to envision and lead the strategic direction for UN Women in partnership development;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice and interact with high level decision makers.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in women’s studies, media studies, journalism, international relations, or related social sciences.
- At least 10 years of experience at the national and/or international level, in advocacy, communications, outreach activities preferably in a large international and/or corporate organization;
- Experience facilitating partnerships with or between civil society organizations;
- Experience leading teams;
- Experience in the UN system and its organizations an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org