The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
The position is based in Brussels. The Policy Officer will work within the Trade and Economic section of the Australian Embassy to Belgium and Luxembourg and Mission to the EU and NATO. This section covers subject matters including EU trade, economic and regulatory policy developments, as well as matters of interest to Australia relating to Belgium. Under limited direction the Policy Officer will be responsible for researching, analysing and reporting on these areas.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Research, analyse and report on EU trade, economic and regulatory issues and Belgian bilateral issues of interest to the Australian Government
- Monitor and report on trade and economic regulatory developments (including in the European Parliament, Council and Commission)
- Develop and maintain relationships with key contacts in government, think tank and private sector organisations
- Represent and promote the interests of Australian at a range of forums, events and meetings and provide advice on Australian participation, operational and policy issues
- Assist to develop and execute visit programs for official visitsor visits
- Provide support for meetings with external stakeholders.
- Tertiary qualifications in European Affairs, Trade Policy, Economics, International Relations or a related field are essential
- High level English written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge/expertise in EU institutions and regulatory processes and sound judgement in interpreting developments in EU policy; knowledge/expertise on Belgium and Luxembourg would be an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Good French language skills are highly desirable and Dutch language skills would be an advantage
- High degree of professionalism and discretion.
In your written statements, you must include succinct, high-level and relevant examples that support your claims against the role.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in European Affairs, Trade Policy, Economics, International Relations.
- A high level of written and oral proficiency in English, with a proven ability to prepare written material to present information in a logical, succinct and persuasive manner.
- Knowledge/expertise in EU as well as EU member states’ political systems and sound judgement in interpreting developments in EU affairs, trade policy and economics; knowledge/expertise on Belgium and Luxembourg would be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven record of providing high level stakeholder management, negotiating with influence and ability to build productive working relationships.
- Good French language skills would be highly desirable. Dutch language skills would be an added advantage.
- Strong planning and organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage key visit programs for the Mission under limited supervision
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org