The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Under its 2018-2022 Strategy, International IDEA will support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation through strengthening the capacity of formal institutions of political participation and representation, such as parliaments and political parties. In this regard, International IDEA, the European Union (EU) and DFID have entered into an Agreement to implement the Parliamentary Oversight for Better Service Delivery Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Myanmar Parliament. The project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliament in Myanmar, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of parliamentary committees and on the staff of parliaments' secretariats.
The outcome objectives for the Action is that the parliamentary committees:
- exercise their budgetary scrutiny and oversight functions effectively; and
- are transparent, inclusive, gender-sensitive, responsive and accountable to all citizens.
By implementing this Action, International IDEA plans to engage with the targeted parliamentary committees through a combination of activities aimed at inspiring and supporting them. These activities will include practical training on key economic and public financial management concepts, advisory services, sharing comparative experiences of institutional development and reform, facilitating peer-to-peer learning and networking, support for applying a gender-sensitive lens to budget oversight, facilitating platforms of dialogue, and developing and providing knowledge resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the overall design, development and production of the project’s knowledge resources and tools such as online digital resource/repository, e-learning tools, databases, parliamentary primers, thematic briefs and publications; conceptualises and provides technical expertise;
- Coordinates the development of parliamentary needs assessments, baseline mapping and programming;
- Provides substantive inputs in the preparation of the project’s progress reports and presentations to the EU, DFID and International IDEA;
- Manages the project’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and is the designated evaluator in accordance with the M&E plan outlined in the project document, responding to both EU and DFID needs and aligned with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Contributes to the visibility of the project in line with the Communication and Visibility Plan;
- Supports the adherence to EU, DFID and International IDEA regulations and procedures in the project implementation and reporting;
- Liaises and works in cooperation and coordination with other areas of work within International IDEA’s Global and Regional Programmes, as well as with the EU, DFID, MP’s and other relevant partners and stakeholders;
- Supports the overall project risk management and actively manages risk as outlined in the project document’s risk analysis and mitigation measures in line with organisational policies and procedures;
- Supports project planning and implementation and carries out other duties as assigned by the Head of Mission.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Provides high-quality contributions to assigned projects, including relevant policy analysis and assessments;
- Has the capacity to work with minimum supervision and in collaboration with other entities of the Institute, the European Commission, DFID and external partners and stakeholders;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional and project guidelines;
- Integrates a rights-based approach as well as a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Myanmar Programme.
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Good working knowledge and practical experience in parliamentary support and development, working with members of parliaments, parliamentary secretariats and committees;
- Expertise in the development of parliamentary resources and tools and programming;
- Experience with capacity building initiatives and expertise in Public Financial Management;
- Knowledge of parliamentary needs assessment methodologies and approaches for parliamentary support;
- Is active in the search for information, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Understands and manages the budget of his/her project(s).
- Manages a generally homogeneous team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Will directly manage the day to day operation of 6 full time staff members assigned to the project;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives and analyse situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality reports and knowledge products/tools;
- Excellent presentation skills; including public speaking and design skills (for slide-decks);
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to engage with high level EU, DFID, Parliament Officials, and other key stakeholders;
- Liaises regularly with internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Fluency in English, written and spoken; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Public Financial Management, Social Science, Political Science, Law or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience preferably in parliamentary support;
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the development and production of various knowledge resources and tools for parliaments and/or democracy and governance is preferred;
- Excellent understanding of programming, monitoring and evaluation approaches and procedures is essential;
- Expertise in public financial management is advantageous;
- Relevant experience from an international and/or regional organization in the work of democracy assistance would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge and working experience on mainstreaming gender in governance and democracy and parliamentary support would be considered an advantage;
- Experience with EU and DFID funded projects and requirements, as well as familiarity with their processes and systems considered advantageous.
Terms of Contract
- International Post. Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Competitive salary + benefits
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org