This position is located with the Voice of America (VOA) in Washington D.C. The incumbent will oversee development of content and broadcasting to a Mandarin audience on a 24/7 channel. The incumbent leads VOA's social media, Internet, and broadcast production and content creation teams of the Mandarin Network and works collaboratively across USAGM leadership to develop platform-appropriate Mandarin Network content.
THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the programming and editorial direction, as well as the overall quality of the VOA content produced by the Mandarin Channel, ensuring accurate, fair, and unbiased reporting and adherence to the VOA charter and journalistic code.
- Provides broad direction of the channel's editorial organization, including its workflows, selecting subject matter to be covered, execution of its stories, and their presentation in the channel.
- Manages the development of select original digital/video production and licensed programs according to the channel's programming vision, master plan, and budget.
- Evaluates audio, video, and digital content and provides timely feedback to producers, talents, production companies and their representatives in the Mandarin and English languages.
- Responsible for the recruitment of staff and contractors, and ensures their contribution is consistent with VOA standards; Recommends training as appropriate; manages the channel's general operating budget.
- Tracks, compiles, and reports on competitive information to help maximize the channel's strategy against competitors.
- Works closely with the VOA senior management and grantee to develop programming strategies that deliver to Chinese audiences and recommends suitable products for purchase or production.
- Assures reasonable equity of performance standards and rating techniques developed by subordinates; evaluates subordinate supervisors; and serves as the reviewing official on evaluations of non-supervisory employees rated by subordinate supervisors. Takes disciplinary actions when needed.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Candidates MUST meet all qualification requirements by closing date.
- Applicants must complete online questionnaire.
- This is a sensitive or national security position.
- If selected, this position requires the completion of the SF-86.
- Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
- This position may require working nights, weekends, and holidays.
- This position has been designated supervisory requiring that the selectee on an initial appointment as a supervisor or manager serve a one-year probationary period.
- If selected for this vacancy, you will be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-14), which is directly related to this line of work and must be fluent in the Mandarin and English language.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience for this position includes a mastery knowledge of television, digital, and media broadcasting and production methods and techniques with the proven ability to develop creative coverage and programming concepts that will attract Chinese speaking audiences. Experience must demonstrate managing a staff at a major multimedia news-gathering organization and knowledge of the China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong and the relationship with the region and the United States.
Applicant cannot substitute education for experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org