Our Global Health Program (GHP) harnesses advances in science and technology to save lives in poor countries. We focus on the health problems that have a major impact in developing countries but get too little attention and funding. Where proven tools exist, we support sustainable ways to improve their delivery. Where they don’t, we invest in research and development of new interventions, such as vaccines, drugs, biologics, and diagnostics. Our work in infectious diseases focuses on strategies to fight and prevent HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, neglected tropical diseases, enteric and diarrheal diseases and pneumonia. Our work in maternal, neonatal and child health focuses on ensuring that women and newborns survive and remain healthy before, during and after childbirth, and ensuring optimal growth, neurodevelopment and resistance to disease, by identifying and addressing underlying biological vulnerabilities. We also support innovative research in reproductive health. These strategies are supported by functional teams that focus on Discovery & Translational Sciences, Vaccine Development & Surveillance, Integrated Development, Innovation Introduction and Life Science Partnership.
The Integrated Development (IDev) team is looking for an exceptional Senior Program Manager to join their team.
IDev serves as a “solutions shop” to help solve complex product development challenges in areas of planning, clinical trial design, regulatory, policy, manufacturing for drugs, vaccines and other health interventions. Our work is organized in 4 areas: Quantitative Sciences; Regulatory; Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC), and most recently the addition of Contraceptive Technology product development (in close collaboration with the Family Planning team within our Global Development Division).
We work to reduce the time needed to develop novel medical products and technologies, and we create platforms for knowledge sharing and collaboration so that researchers can analyze large amounts of data to gain new insights faster. Furthermore, we support the development of technologies that facilitate low-cost drug manufacturing, as well as long-acting and other advanced drug delivery technologies to lower barriers to access, increase adherence and enhance health outcomes.
As we have seen tremendous growth in our scope, budget, team size and complexity over the last few years, we are now looking for a full time Senior Program Manager.
The Sr Program Manager will play a crucial role within IDev with accountability for:
- Drive strategy and operations of IDev, including oversight of strategic planning, budgeting, ongoing pipeline and portfolio management and business analysis.
- Drive strategy, project management and implementation of selected, priority programmatic investments and/or portfolios.
- Identify opportunities to maximize impact of business team, propose improvements to Deputy Director for Strategy, Planning and Management (DDSPM) and the IDev leadership team.
- The position reports to the IDev DDSPM and provides management and coaching to a team of 2 Program Coordinators (PCs).
- Lead portfolio, strategic planning, investment, financial and operations processes of IDev, including the full investment development process, annual planning, budget management and forecasting. Provides critical support to program leadership in translating strategy goals into coherent portfolio and investment plans.
- Monitor grant and contract pipeline to produce accurate forecasts vs. budget reporting and performance against key milestones and outcomes to facilitate management decision-making. Oversee process for and execution of the IDEV team’s pipeline planning.
- Consult/strategize with program leadership to maximize impact of investment and financial processes and ensure optimal learning, decision making, and collaboration.
- Drive priority projects, in support of programmatic investments and/or portfolios.
- Facilitate process improvement efforts in support of staff productivity. Promote efficiency and productivity on the team by providing leadership and support in process development and improvement, implementation and improvement of tools, analysis, reporting and change management.
- Guide program officers to ensure that portfolio investments are strategically aligned, and outcomes are defined that will lead to impact on key strategy goals.
- Manage team of 2 PCs: responsible for hiring talent, ensuring successful onboarding, communicating performance expectations, creating goal alignment, giving/seeking feedback, providing coaching, measuring progress and holding people accountable, creating opportunities for professional development, and recognizing achievement. Delegates as needed to maximize impact of IDev business team.
- Provide DDSPM and IDev leadership team with critical, transparent, challenging thought partnership.
- Represent IDev in division and foundation forums, acts as proxy for DDSPM where needed.
Leadership and Culture:
- We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong portfolio management and program management skills.
- Program management of complex strategy development, execution planning and business process redesign projects.
- Financial acumen plus budget development, financial analysis and operational management skills.
- Complex project management skills, successful track record of leading or managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively alternate between thinking strategically and executing at high quality.
- Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures on assignments, self-starter.
- Strong communications skills.
- Strong people/team management skills, with experience in supporting professional development of team members.
- Ability to effectively work with different styles and within different team cultures, ability to balance efficiency with flexibility.
- Professional experience with progressive responsibility in program or project management role, or in management consulting.
- Grace under fire, sense of humor, happy to take and give feedback.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 7+ years of experience, or equivalent experience. Experience in the pharmaceutical sector is a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org